Asbestos roof tiles
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Roofing & Flashing  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sean

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Asbestos roof tiles Reply with quote

I have friends who have a lovely Colonial revival house in Lynn, Massachusetts with asbestos roofing tiles. They've undergone repairs over the years due to falling tree branches and what have you. They have been searching for someone to work on them, but most contractors won't touch them or advocate complete removal. I guess the problem is that they get ice dams and need to flash under the first few courses. In the process of cleaning out the basement, they discovered that they have stacks of pristine, unused tiles from the time of construction, so replacements are no longer an issue.

To assuage their concerns, are these tiles safe to deal with. I'm assuming that they are similar to the cement asbestos siding you see, which hold paint well and is fine as long as you don't pulverize it, but is frightfully expensive to dispose of. Are they worth saving, and can they be worked on? I'm not sure what the fasteners are, but the tiles don't seem to be failing from rotted nails, just tree branches and weather (the house is right on the ocean). They also have moss growing on them and are wondering how to remove it without scraping off the asbestos.

Any advice would be very helpful. I'd hate to see them spend all this money on disposing of this roof only to find out after there was an alternative.

Thanks,
Sean
jbmnd93

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathedral Stone has a product called D/2 Biological Solution that can take care of the moss issue: http://cathedralstone.com/products/solution.aspx
rncx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this will vary from state to state i'm sure, but from experience, here's what we had to do with demo work back home in louisiana...

a) call the state environmental office, in some states they will send out someone to take a look and recommend a procedure. they did back home, the state EPA equivalent would send a guy out to take a look.

b) for roof tiles and floor tiles and such, the typical means of removal is to keep them wet, since the asbestos is embedded in the tiles, it's not as prone to fly in the air as pipe insulation is, for an example of the 'worst' kind, and keeping it wet will further inhibit the ability of anything that breaks to become airborne.

c) it will probably have to be bagged in thick mil rubber/plastic for transport/disposal.

that's the general idea you're looking at for roof tiles only. the job isn't much slower so you're not looking at a lot more money than any other shingle demo job, but there is the added expense of having a high capacity water source nearby that can keep the tiles wet, so probably a truck rental for that, the increased disposal cost from bagging and finding someone that will take them, and a couple of extra laborers to handle the bags, rather than just throwing everything off into a portable dumpster.

the above is roughly what you'd be looking at if you choose the demo/replace route.
JimmyJim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a list of suppliers that may be able to help you contact someone to help.

http://www.slateroofers.org/sources_asbestos_tile.html

Also a list of slate contractors, that may deal with asbestos shingles. Worth a call.

http://www.slateroofers.org/directory.html

I see that this is an older post, but perhaps it can help someone else.

Jim
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Roofing & Flashing  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: