Traditional Linseed Oil Putty
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Traditional Linseed Oil Putty Reply with quote

I'm using the Allback putty and paint system this week. I'm finding it "slick & quick" to apply. I met Hans Allback at the Chicago conference in March. He showed me how he works with these materials, so I have the benefit of seeing and learning the traditional Swedish methods and techniques. I shot a little video of him glazing and handling the putty. It's not particularly good "footage" but I may post it at my website when I get time.

On one of the sash I'm doing one of my famous "Comparative Field Tests," with half the sash using the "Swedish system" and half using my standard "American system." When I get this test done later this week, I'll post my notes (drawings, photos, maybe even video) at the Historic HomeWorks Forum, in the windows section, with my impressions and assessment of application, including production times. Of course, the real results will come in future years as we see how each holds up. The test is of the complete paint-putty schedule, step-by-step from bare wood sash to painted complete, all standard "best practice" for both systems.

After a "deep" discussion with Hans Allback about old wood, wood deterioration, weather, new paint and traditional paint, new windows and old windows, and the technology of traditional and modern paint-putty systems, I believe he is on the same track that I am. You can get my brief "take" on this at:

http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw/qa/qa07.htm

Hans describes nearly the same history and product development through the 20th century in Europe. So I'm tending to trust his claims of performance and durability, which, by the way, is just about the same as we were getting in this country during the late 19th and early 20th century, until the paint industry shifted to "modern" alkyd and modified products.

For the Swedish system in the comparitive test, I'm using Allback's procedure exactly. For the American system I'm using my own shop's standard procedure. I asked Duffy if he wanted to supply me with his procedure for this field test, but he preferred not to, but is willing to teach it to any one who wants to go to his shop for a training session. He does not currently have a training session organized or scheduled. I have been to three of his presentations on paint and putty, and his procedure is not dramatically different than mine. (There are differences that may be important upon which I would deferr to his depth of experience.)

My initial impression is that the Swedish system takes 10-15% less direct labor time to apply (even on my first use of it). Start to finish calander time looks like it's about the same or perhaps 10% longer for the Swedish system. Overall the Sweedish system takes less effort, which means longer work sessions with better control of the details such as painting to the line along the glass (so no returning to scrape paint off glass saves time too.) Plus it's completely solventless, so it causes less damage to the ol' brain cells and the enviornment (the only enviornmental downside I can find with it is associated with the fuel used for the shipment from Europe).

Watch this Forum for more on the testing...

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Iowagal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any news on the putty and/or on the paint they are selling? Can't wait to hear!
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the putty and paint, trying it out on small projects. I can report that it looks like paint, feels like paint, brushes on like paint, dries like paint--well, what do you know, it IS paint. "Paint the putty immediately," it really works! I have been talking with Eric Andersson, who grew up in the carpentry/paint trade in Sweden. He confirms that Hans's claim that these materials and methods are proven by Swedish tradition is true.

My colleagues here in America who are using it also report that it "works."

We don't know (because we have not yet experienced it)what the service life will be with these products and system.

As with all things new to me, I'm reserving any judgement until it is proven by the test of time. I've set up one of my famous comparitive field tests. It's a window sash, half done with the American system of paint/putty, half done with the Swedish system. I'm going to publish my notes on the test right away, so others can repeat the test. (check back here for an announcement) and then publish the performance results in one year, five years and ten years.

Take care, work safe and keep in touch.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: