Storm Window manufacturers
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
puppychew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Storm Window manufacturers Reply with quote

Hi. I am looking for new storm windows for my historic double hung wood windows on the 2nd floor.

I check Allied and like that shadow line but they're real expensive- about $350. plus an additional charge for a dark green.

Monray are about $200 per window and have a look of wood storms. That's good but i prefer the shadow line instead of the flat look. My 1960's aluminum storms have a shadow line but the windows protrude.

My questions:

1) any other manufacturers recommended?
2) Is it worth getting the low e-glass?
jbmnd93

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends where you are which defines whether you pay more for heat or more for cooling. If you're in Maine and need all the heat you can get in the winter, don't put low-e on south facing storms because that will reduce the heat you gain from the sun. If you're in Arizona paying through the nose to air condition the place, use low-e storms to reduce the heat from the sun.
puppychew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oohh. I live in New Jersey and need the warmth in the winter and to be cool in the summer. Is it possible to have both and a storm that is not noticeable?
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every storm will be noticeable. If you're not sure if you will like the look or operation of a particular storm, have just one installed and see how it looks and works. If you don't like it you have made a relatively small mistake and can try out another storm, then decide which one you like best.

Sometimes the look of a traditional wooden storm is very "noticeable" but will look just right because that is they type of storm your window and house was designed to have.

John Spencer at www.SpencerWorks.com makes traditional wood storms and also ones with a movable glass panel that slides up exposing the screen.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to do the same thing to all your windows.

For example, if you don't like the look of exterior storms when you drive up to your house, you could put interior storms on just the front windows, and exterior storms on the rest of the house.

If you could attach a few photos of your house we might be able to make better suggestions.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought

Last edited by johnleeke on Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
buckyswider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's not what you're looking for right now, but I just made a 100 mile trek to N. Jersey to pick up aluminum storms from bonded ( http://www.bondedvinylwindows.com/ ). I just put in storm window #14 of 14, using the only locally-available storm I could find- the double-track larson sold by both the Blue and Orange big box storms. Each time I installed one (I bought a few at a time) I slowly realized what crap they were. Then the nail in the coffin came when my 12 year old couldn't figure out how to open the storm- you have to raise the lower glass (if installed), then reach up behind the meeting rail of the prime window to raise the upper glass slightly; then while holding that up, you use your other hand to get the screen out. My avocation in the fire service made me realize what a safety hazard this could be in the event of fire. So I tried to find good triple-tracks. All the local places I contacted would only sell to contractors; I finally found bonded and just brought home my first 4 windows. I will replace all the brand-new larsons over the next year or two.

SO, if you decide to go back to aluminum, I highly recommend these guys- especially since they're in your neighborhood.
EC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Storm Windows Reply with quote

If you are looking for a standard triple track I installed Seaway storm windows on some rather windows about four years ago. I was happy with them and the homeowner loved them. They are made in Erie and I am not sure how big their distribution network is.

http://www.seawaymfg.com/products/storm-products/windows/

If I get to storms on my house I'll either be looking at Monray or wood storms for the traditional look. I do not have any experience with Monray.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: