Interior wooden screens for out swinging casements
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Standard Sash

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Interior wooden screens for out swinging casements Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I was looking to get some thoughts and/or pictures concerning the building of some interior wooden screens that would use the original stays/tracks (terminology is likely off here) on some out swinging casements. I imagine anyone who has worked in the window restoration business for even a short time has seen these type of stays/tracks that I am referring to but typically you see them mounted to the blind stop on the part that faces the other blind stop. They are thin strips of wood that seem to have acted as a track for the screen to slide down on to with one side running almost the full length of the blind stop and the other only coming about halfway up the blind stop. I tried looking for an image to reference the outside but stopped when Google suggested an image of Dave Grohl was what I might be looking for. Anyways, I have a picture from the house that I am trying to make these for but it is only of the side that goes halfway up. Should be enough for those who are familiar with what I am referencing and I would be deeply grateful to anyone who might have suggestions as to how these things were traditionally constructed. I have yet to come across a screen occupying any of these tracks but maybe one of you has. Thanks to all and happy spring.

Sloane
[/img]

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  807.9 KB
 Viewed:  117 Time(s)

image.jpg

SashGuy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I see them quite often with double hung windows that were built between 1860 and 1910 that have shutters. I have not seen them used with casements as of yet. There's just a simple pocket routed into the stile and a cap to fill the upper void. Here's a cross section.

screen.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.23 KB
 Viewed:  2547 Time(s)

screen.jpg

The Standard Sash

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that diagram, it's something like what I expected but I am still uncertain how the side with the track only halfway up would work. It seems you would slot the routed channel onto the full length track but then you'd need to pivot the screen and, do what, to get the routed channel on the halfway track side to sit properly. Does that make sense? At least in the case I am dealing with, there is not the possibility to slide both routed channels down the tracks from the top. Seems like it would require some hardware to latch on to that channel but the basic construction seems to tell me that that is not what was done. I know I meet be getting knit-picky but I want to get this right. Thanks, again, for the reply and those to come!
SashGuy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The male guides are half way up to provide room for it to pivot for installation and removal. Also, the female grooves are a very loose tolerance for this same reason. I'll be out in Cypress TX within a couple weeks and will try to get you some pictures of an 1860 set configured for single hung slab sashes.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: