1. determine the extent of the decay by probing with an awl, ice pick or by drilling 3/16" holes.
2. Chisel out all of the decayed wood exposing sound bare wood.
3. Determine the amount of migrating borate preservative (such as BoraCare) to apply, based on the volume of the piece of wood and the application rate for the preservative (1 fluid ounce per 6 board feet for BoraCare).
4. Drill hole(s) in the bottom of the decay void.
5. Mix and apply the borate preservative into the holes. Be careful to not get any borate on the surface of the wood.
6. Fill the hole(s) with a wood plug.
7. Apply the epoxy primer or consolidant to the surface of the decay void.
8. Apply the epoxy paste filler to fill the decay void. Slightly over fill above the surrounding wood surface. Allow to cure.
9. Trim down the epoxy filler to be flush with the surround wood surface.
Narrows-spouted hair dye bottles work well because they have a good seal at the cap. If they are made out of poly-ethylene plastic the cured epoxy will not stick to them making them cleanable.
Ordinary "ketchup bottle" are not good because the seal is not good enough and they are sometimes made out of other plastics so they may not be cleanable.
More to come...
More to come... _________________ John
by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Last edited by johnleeke on Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:21 am; edited 7 times in total
Joined: 20 Aug 2004 Posts: 2946 Location: Portland, Maine, USA
Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:32 pm Post subject:
The bottles you see in my videos are hair dye bottles made of poly-ethylene with an effective seal around the cap and a very narrow spout. They were available since the 1990s through Sally Beauty Supply (a chain of stores all across the USA) with the "Roux" and "Revlon" brand names, but those specific products have been canceled and are no longer available.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You can download files in this forum