installing v-shaped bronze
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazybrit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: installing v-shaped bronze Reply with quote

http://historichomeworks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5825#5825

I'm looking for a video/tutorial on installing v-shaped spring bronze. Everything on Youtube is the "flat" variety and the video on the above thread no longer exists.

I'll be using something like this: http://kilianhardware.com/vshapsprinbr1.html but purchased from my local hardware store.

I'm assuming I should:
- install onto the sash itself rather than the frame
- install with the v pointing back into the room, as far towards the outside of the sash as possible so that the shorter leg of the v will ride up behind the pulley
- not sure about how to bend to avoid snagging etc

I think my local hardware store only has 5/8". The length of the longer leg doesn't seem important, the shorter leg (as I say above) needs to ride behind the pulley but I expect I can trim just the top few inches back if necessary
rncx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of a video tutorial but from experience...

1) Whether you install to the sash or the frame is up to you. I prefer the look of the frame, but the sash is easier (since the metal will be hidden and doesn't have to look nice. If you install to the frame you will have to carefully 'cope' the short side of the V to make the corners fit properly with tin snips).

2) Yes, pulley clearance must be determined beforehand. Again, whether you go outside the pulley or inside the pulley is up to you.

3) Just bend the tips a tad on each end to avoid snagging. It's not a precise thing, just don't let the sharp edges bend outward. Bend them with your fingers.

4) You will need a nail punch. You can start the nails by holding them with a pair of needle-nosed pliers Don't miss and smash your new weather stripping, this is forced-practice in getting good with a hammer ;). Once the head of the nail has reached the point where you can no longer nail without hitting the weather strip, you have to finish it with a punch.

Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: