Victorian Window With Slot
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Victorian Window With Slot Reply with quote

I am replacing some broken window glass for my daughter and when got windows home and removed old putty, broken glass discovered that the top portion of the sash has no glazing rabbet. Other 3 sides do but the sash top is a slot to slip the glass in. Anyone replaced glass on this type window? With setting bed could you slide glass into slot then continue to install glass as usual? Or would I need to create a glazing rabbet.
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sometimes made the meeting rail at the top of the lower sash with a slot instead of a glazing rabbet in order to make the rail a little thinner and let in a little more light.

It can be difficult to get the glass shards out of the slot. Wear safety glasses and gloves. Break away most of the glass and get it all out along the sides and bottom glazing rabbets. Then work on any glass at the slot. Break away glass within 2 or 3 inches of the slot. Grab the remaining glass shards with your gloved fingers, or with a pair of pliers wrapped with a rag, and gently wiggle the glass. If the glass is stuck just wiggle it for a few or several minutes and it may come loose.

If there is putty or paint junk in the slot, it needs to be cleaned out. You can use a utility knife with a hooked blade:

https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Hook-Knife-Blades/dp/B003GEU9LM/ref=sr_1_12?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1481656231&sr=1-12&keywords=utility+knife%2C+hooked+blade

Once you get the slot cleaned, and the glazing rabbets cleaned, you can proceed with glazing. Lay bedding putty in the glazing rabbets, put a bit of putty in the slot but don't pack it full--too much putty in there will make it hard to get the edge of the pane in. Slide the pane into the slot, wiggle it a bit to get in going in there, then move the pane slowly into the glazing rabbets. Jiggle the pane slightly and carefully to seat it into the bedding putty, but go very slowly. If you go too fast, the bedding putty might "lever" the pane against the slot breaking the pane.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Victorian Window With Slot Reply with quote

Got all glass out, cleaned sash, primed and waiting for it to dry prior to reinstallation. Will see how it goes given glass panes are 32 x 30. Hope I don't break glass or I will cop out and knock pegs out of sash to remove and slide glass in that way.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: