Balusters Design Question
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Woodwork & Carpentry  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stpackard

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Balusters Design Question Reply with quote

Hello All,
I have stuccoed banisters that are in need of an 'update,' not in the Menardsy sense of an update.
I'm reusing the 3" bed molding off of the existing banisters and am having some made to replace.

I've looked at the Audel's builders manual and only found one small picture of baluster cross section, so I don't have a working knowledge of how they're put together. I also don't have one to base from since the current are stuccoed.

The bottom piece design I took from the Audel's in that it's beveled to shed water. How would the joinery work for spindles? I thought I could mortise-tenon the spindel (square) into the bottom, cut the bevel, and use glazing putty to fill any gaps. Bad idea for water?

I attached an image of what design I'm going to do.

I got to thinking and have bought some porcelain wedge base light sockets. I'd like to wire 12v lights underneath the top cap with 1 1/4" holes bored in the 2x4 sandwich for the fixture to sit in. Dado for wiring.

Thanks for any suggestions. My big questions are the 2x4 sandwich at top, and the bottom beveled piece - what material/dimension and spindle joinery.

Sam Packard
Lincoln NE

IMG_5267.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  342.92 KB
 Viewed:  5 Time(s)

IMG_5267.JPG

Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Woodwork & Carpentry  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: