Should I caulk siding that has no sheathing underneath?
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Weatherization & Energy Saving  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimitchell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Should I caulk siding that has no sheathing underneath? Reply with quote

Our 1880's house has interior, non-overlapping wood plank walls with gaps 1/8" to 3/4" wide. The interior planks are attached directly to the 2X4 studs. Likewise, the exterior wood clapboard siding is attached directly to the 2X4 studs. There is no sheathing or tar paper between the studs and clapboards. No insulation in walls; just an empty air space. Obviously, this is rather leaky and and in some areas we could see daylight through the walls from inside the house. We recently used an elastomeric log cabin chinking product to seal up the gaps between the interior wood planks. Now, we are working on removing the old paint and restoring the exterior siding. I am wondering whether I should use caulk after priming to seal up all of the horizontal gaps between clapboards and the areas where siding meets trim?

Thanks for your help.
kimitchell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did more research and read elsewhere that caulk should be used on vertical joins (i.e., between edge of siding and trim boards), but not at horizontal joins (I.e., between siding boards) so that moisture can leave the interior space.

Please comment if you think my research is incorrect. Thanks
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Weatherization & Energy Saving  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: