glass for windows
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chevychase

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: glass for windows Reply with quote

Hi,
I've reproduced set of sashes for one window opening to replace a window from 1990ties. This window is completely off and doesn't match original ones from 1920ties with beautiful wavy glass in it.
Now, I have a dilemma what glass should I use. The window faces south and it is a library room so I am concern about sun exposure.
The max glass thickness that I can insert is 1/4 inches, but minimum 3/16. I canít use thinner glass since the muntins are too wide so I am afraid that glazing will be too shallow (the woodmaker did wood stops to attach the glass but I prefer to use a putty).
Max thickness doesn't allow to use an insulated double pane.

My options are:
1. salvaged old wavy glass but max thickness is 1/8- too thin for me
2. new glass with 1/4 inch thickness - no wavy glass. Here, I can get also low iron glass, but I don't know if it is good or not. Unfortunately no low-e option for a single pane
3. historic reproduction from http://www.restorationwindowglass.com/. I can get wavy glass, 1/4 inch thickness, low-e Ė perfect but the price is astronomical - almost $2000 for 30 sq ft
4. reproduction from other source - Artisan Glass Works - 1/4 inch available, competitive price, but the glass quality is not impressive
5. Have anyone had experience with a Specia from Pilington http://www.pilkington.com/en/us/products/product-categories/thermal-insulation/pilkington-spacia#overview? I've just requested a quote. The glass is double pane but around 1/4 inch thick and low e. No wavy glass.

Should I just get a salvaged old glass but thin or go with new regular glass no low-e but thick?

If I use low-e, have you experienced any difficulties in glazing? Do I need a special patty or Sarco is sufficient.
Thanks so much for your input.
SashGuy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: glass for windows Reply with quote

Tempered glass picks up a slight wave in the heat treating process, so I use it quite often when large pieces of cylinder glass are not available. Chose your thickness.
My choice in film is Iris 75. It reflects radiant energy outward, rather than heating the glass (unlike OTC products), and is completely clear so that the wave in the glass is not distorted.
chevychase

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! So new tempered rather than annealed glass. Do you know where I can buy the Iris 75 film? It doesn't show on google.
I assume that the film must be on exterior side of the window. Do I glaze first and then put the film or vice versa?
SashGuy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that is Iris 70 http://geoshieldusa.com/architectural
chevychase

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Do you put the film on the glass first and then putty?
SashGuy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: glass for windows Reply with quote

Film is always installed on the interior
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: