paint removal on a metal Victorian Shingle roof
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Roofing & Flashing  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michele

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject: paint removal on a metal Victorian Shingle roof Reply with quote

I have a Queen Anne Victorian with a Victorian metal shingle roof. It has been painted several times in it's 116 year old life. Now most of it is peeling but what is stuck is really stuck, but it will peel also eventually and I don't want to paint over it. I have found an industrial coating (NOT elastomeric) that I want to use but all the existing paint has got to be removed. Light scraping with something on a long handle is not going to cut it. I live in a small town and am having trouble even finding anyone willing to go up there and do anything. Does anyone have any ideas about the best, most efficient method that will do the least damage to the shingles? I do not want to pressure wash because I am afraid of blowing holes in the shingles, which I did when I tried it on the front porch. Suggestions anyone?
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to remove the remaining paint without damaging the existing roofing is probably with paint removal chemicals that soften the paint so it can be scrubbed off.

Yes, it can be difficult to find tradespeople and contractors because they don't usually do the unusual things we want to have done to our fine old homes. Try going to your local or regional historic house museums to learn who does their work.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Michele

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I have evaluated chemicals but aside from possible damage to my plants and trees it looks like chemicals would be extremely expensive. I would like to know where I could buy chemicals by the 50 gallon drum. I also have shutters to do. I am going to replace the porches with Berridge Victorian Shingles and for the time being nature is hard at work peeling the main roof for me. Looks terrible. I got the name of someone the other day that I am going to call.
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the best source of paint removal chemicals just call the manufacturer of the product. If they don't sell directly they will give you the name of dealers who will sell it. The manufacturer or the dealers would also know who your nearest painting contractor is with experience using that product, because that contractor will be buying a lot of that product.

In any case, any competent painting contractor with experience in this kind of work will have good ideas on which products he will want to use and will have sources for the products he will use.

>>chemicals would be extremely expensive<<

Any method of removing paint from your roof and recoating is going to be expensive. Just getting access to the roof without damaging the shingles is going to be costly.

What industrial coating are you considering?

There is a type of metal coating that may not require complete removal of the old coatings. it slightly softens the old coating and improves the adhesion of the old coating. It also converts any rust so that the rust does not promote further rusting. One such product is "Rust Destroyer," and there are others. To prepare the surface for this type of coating you simply dry scrub to remove loose particles of paint and rust, then vacuum up the debris. This method and material could be worth testing to determine how your roof conditions respond.

Michele

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice. One person said the coating is some type of black rubber maybe elastomeric? I don't know. I have some shingles that I am going to try different paint remover chemicals on and other methods. I live in a small town 2 hours from Atlanta between Augusta and Athens Ga. and there are no people around here who are in the paint removal business. The ones who have looked at this house don't like it at all because it is a 4500 SF Queen Anne Victorian with steep roof pitches. It has been painted a couple of times and don't know how they got that done the way these people act. They don't want to do anything without a lift. We researched a product called Devoe Coatings Devflex, Devcoat, Devguard, Devshield (one of these) water-borne acrylic. The coatings are heavy duty. I appreciate your advice and am going to look into the Rust Destroyer. The rust converter products we have looked at so far have to be used with an oil base paint and one salesman told me the tanins in the rust converter would bleed through a lighter finish coat. We are planning to use a light or medium gray. Thanks
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it sounds like you are on the right track in trying to figure this out. Your research and testing methods seem good. Don't let my recommendation above unnecessarily confuse you.
That sounds right about the tanins bleeding through lighter color topcoats.

Michele

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: roof Reply with quote

Thanks for your help
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Roofing & Flashing  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: