Caulking Between Wood and Stone sills
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jane Stevenson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Caulking Between Wood and Stone sills Reply with quote

I have a question about my window sills that are next to the stone sills underneath them. There is Abatron along the bottom edge in places where the wood was starting to rot. This was done about 24 years ago and it is now cracking and pulled away from the wood and the stone. I am wondering what to do.
1) Should the Abatron be scrapped out? Should it be left in place and the cracks be filled in with another product? I am going to be caulking around the rest of the window between the stone and the wood with a Terpolymer sealant that was recommended to me by a researcher from the USDA Forest Products Lab. It is supposed to be a very good product to use for filling in gaps and holes in wood instead of using the Abatron product because of its elastic properties, unless Abatron has added an elastic to its filler product.

2) Should this area be left open for water drainage? There is quite a lot of shade which is one reason the wood had rotted in the first place but I believe there was caulk original between the wood and stone sills.

IMG_7144.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  136.47 KB
 Viewed:  324 Time(s)

IMG_7144.jpg

IMG_7146.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  109.54 KB
 Viewed:  328 Time(s)

IMG_7146.jpg

Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1