Undoing "Improvements" - Creating Window Sills
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Woodwork & Carpentry  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtotzz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Undoing "Improvements" - Creating Window Sills Reply with quote

I purchased my home last fall and am slowly trying undo all the damage the prior owners did with their "DI-Why?" projects and "improvements".

I don't have the budget to replace all of the replacement windows with real wood windows, but I would at least like to put some exterior window sills in, and maybe some shutters.

Any good advice for tackling this project? I don't want to start ripping off clapboards just to investigate. I'd love to find the original sill hiding behind the clapboards, but I'm not hopeful because it wouldn't make sense why they'd cut them flush and clapboard over them.

I'd like to craft a window sill, then cut out the portion of the clapboard where I'd like it to go, and then attach it to whatever is underneath the clapboard. Is this a bad idea?

The house needs a lot more work than just window sills, but I thought it would be a good place to start.

4770893.jpg
 Description:
Picture of the front of the house, top window appears to have mostly original trim.
 Filesize:  114.19 KB
 Viewed:  12 Time(s)

4770893.jpg

johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would need some close up photos of the windows and window sills, to give you any effective ideas.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
dtotzz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the decorative "front ledge" that runs along the bottom of my front gable had some squirrels nesting in it/entering the house, so I have some pictures from my efforts to block their entrance and rebuild/repair the ledge.

So these shots aren't great, but that's why the windows aren't the focus. I can take some better window shots the next time I'm on the porch roof.

John - I ordered a copy of your compendium because I feel like there's so much for me to learn it seemed like a good start. Feel free to reference anything in there if you're able to chime in again. I appreciate your reply.

IMG_0048.JPG
 Description:
The older upper window doesn't appear to have a header, they just used this decorative trim all the way around. Window in the same position on the back of the house was done the same way.
 Filesize:  484.44 KB
 Viewed:  4 Time(s)

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0057.JPG
 Description:
This is a close up shot of the upper window. The sill has a piece of quarter round underneath it which I guess provides stability/does the job of a drip edge cut?
 Filesize:  945.88 KB
 Viewed:  6 Time(s)

IMG_0057.JPG

IMG_0040_crop.jpg
 Description:
Very little space under the 2nd floor window and the top of the bay window roof. I'm curious if the replacement windows are larger than the originals.
 Filesize:  358.72 KB
 Viewed:  6 Time(s)

IMG_0040_crop.jpg

IMG_0032.JPG
 Description:
Side view showing bottom window, replacement window and trim, and the top window which is a replacement window, but appears to be old trim.
 Filesize:  711.08 KB
 Viewed:  4 Time(s)

IMG_0032.JPG

johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3rd storey window:

Looks like it has the original casing boards and band mouldings. The sill also looks original and in poor condition.

2nd storey window:
I see what you mean about no sills showing. The vinyl pirates probably hacked off the old sill, back to flush with sheathing boards under the clapboards. The way to proceed would be to take off the piece between the replacement window and the roof and see what is going on under there. Show photos of what you find under there. If enough of the old sill remains you might be able to make and install a "Sill Extension."
Here is the Wood Sill Extension info over at the Window Standards website:
http://windowstandards.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=265

You might be able to easily get closer photos of the sills by reaching out of the window with the camera facing back toward the building.

If you have similar details at the back of the house, you might do your first sill work there, to figure it out and get practice, to later do better work on the front.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Woodwork & Carpentry  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: