1930s Casement Window Hardware/Operation
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JK5503

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: 1930s Casement Window Hardware/Operation Reply with quote

I have been working my way through repairing double-hung wood windows and replacing sash ropes in a 1936 house in Maryland. I have now arrived at the one out-swinging casement window in the house, and I could use some input/advice. I noticed that instead of a strike, the latch just catches on the stile of the one sash, and a previous owner had provided “security” measures by installing a screw on either side of the latch so it couldn’t be turned. Someone had also stuffed rope caulk all around the window. When I got that out, I discovered a large gap at the top and bottom of the right hand sash. At first I thought the sash was quite warped, but on closer inspection, I realized that there appears to be virtually no way that the right hand sash could ever close completely flush because it is lapped behind (to the outside of) the left-hand sash. There is v-strip bronze weatherstripping on all sides of the jamb, and an inter-locking strip where the sash meet. Operation overall is very stiff - stripping the hinges of years of paint is step 1 on my to-do list. Can it be that this window was made such that the right-hand sash really never did sit flush against the top and bottom jambs because of the way it is lapped behind the other sash, or am I missing something here? And was there never any strike at all, but just the latch catching on the other sash as it does now? I don’t see any evidence of old holes where one could have been, and I can’t figure out how a surface or rim strike could have been installed. The surface strike would sit proud of the latch in this case. Any thoughts as to what the original intent might have been and how to make this more weather-tight for winter?

986123DA-F750-4740-945D-0C262F1D7F95.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.4 MB
 Viewed:  8 Time(s)

986123DA-F750-4740-945D-0C262F1D7F95.jpeg

6ECFA1C5-06C0-4907-8766-3DAE60ADC8FF.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.71 MB
 Viewed:  5 Time(s)

6ECFA1C5-06C0-4907-8766-3DAE60ADC8FF.jpeg

52FB479C-1457-41B3-8DCA-E5453A522ACE.jpeg
 Description: