Home at last!
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ms. Chips

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Home at last! Reply with quote

Well, I finally got registered onto this forum! Had to create a web-based e-mail address and that seems to have solved the problem. Weird that your BB software doesn't like verizon.net.

Anyway, I've been studying the forum and I've got a ton of questions, primarily about restoring the windows on our c. 1906 Foursquare. I'll start with a few:

- steam paint removal: I'm going to purchase a garment steamer very soon (getting tired of the stripper fumes). Has anyone had better success with a steam cleaner rather than a garment steamer? Compared the two? And have there been any more postings about adapting the steamer hose to fit the 1 1/4" Shop-vac heads (or vice-versa)?

- When I removed the sashes of one double-hung in our bedroom, I discovered that someone had installed zinc weatherstripping in the jambs and on the top sash itself. It's the kind where one cuts a kerf all around and the sash now rides in a kind of track. Should I remove it and re-install the same type in bronze? My intention is to install spring bronze weatherstripping (the flat type that comes in a coil) in the jambs, but these kerfs are deep and I'm concerned about draftiness and that there's been so much wood removed (half of the top meeting rail has been cut away and channeled out) the sash's "integrity" has been compromised.

- I found some of the putty I removed had been colored - not just painted - it's all the way through. Was this a spot repair? It must have been - it matches the top layer of paint perfectly. Do people still do this?

- How does one use setting blocks? Are they something you have to make yourself? I used be-headed wooden matches on one sash but they are smaller than the ones I removed with the old putty. Too bad I threw them out...

Didn't mean to turn this into a novel, but that should do it for now. Looking forward to hearing from everyone!
woodturner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Welcome!! Reply with quote

First of all, welcome to the forum!! We are glad to have you here.

We have been discussing window repairs for several weeks on the video conferences. The interactive format of the video conferences works well for these kinds of questions. I would encourage you to join us for the next video conference (9/11/06, 7 PM). Even if you are on dialup, you can participate by typing your questions and watching the video.

The archives of past conferences are available on the conference page as well. We have discussed window refurbishment, steam paint removal, and weatherstripping. John is a wealth of knowledge on these subjects and the information in the conferences is excellent.
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- steam paint removal: I'm going to purchase a garment steamer very soon (getting tired of the stripper fumes). Has anyone had better success with a steam cleaner rather than a garment steamer? Compared the two? And have there been any more postings about adapting the steamer hose to fit the 1 1/4" Shop-vac heads (or vice-versa)?

I'm getting some reports in on various steam cleaners. Generally the high-temp (over 212F) cleaners with pressurization do not work well. Ralph (aka woodturner here on the Forum) is getting some success with one, I suspect he will chime in here.

Complete step-by-step details for hose/head adaptations and materials are in the print edition of Steam Paint Removal:

http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw/reports/reports.htm#Steam

Take care, work safe and keep in touch.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: