How to Save Your Wood Door?
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jomercer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: How to Save Your Wood Door? Reply with quote

My 1925 bungalow is forntuiante to have its orginal 12-light front door. Fortunatley, it's only had shellac applied--i.e., easy to strip--inside and out (being sheltered uner a deep, wide porch it's had little direct weather exposure). But, it's suffered the expected insults of bad edge planing (presumably to "cure" a sticking problem), various installations and removals of weatherstripping and locksets, curtain rods, and other assorted holes of unknown purpose.

The lowest part of this door has a single raised panel that I notice is a bit loose on one side. The muntins have water-related damage to the lower ends and enges where I guess condensation has soaked in over the years. And there's dark discoloration from the lockeset running mostly down but also up the grain of the wood up to 2.5 inches away. Related to the door are problems with the strike plate and horribly hacked holes ups and down the jamb (and into the trim). Also, the door is thinner than modern doors, so standard locksets don't quite fit right.

John Leeke's Save Your Windows preservation treatise has some things that seem directly applicable to keeping my door in service for many more years, but I'm not sure how to best address other problems more specific to doors. Is there a Save Your Doors-type publication available?
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Yet!

I'm working on it!

I'm expecting to have a door report out sometime this coming winter.

In the meantime, bring your door questions right here, we'll help you out, and fit the replies into the new door report.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: