Thank You - Thank You All!
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lojo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Thank You - Thank You All! Reply with quote

Well hello all. I will try not to make this a very long ramble. I want to thank you all so much. You saved me from a very big mistake! We moved into our lovely early 1900's house one year ago. My daughter is 3 and the lead in the house was a concern. So we called in the VHCB lead abatement program to evaluate and test our home. Well to make a long story somewhat short, they wanted to remove and replace all of our 2/2 wavy glass windows and replace them with wood inserts. We also have a lovely window (not sure of the correct name of it) in our bathroom which opens in and latches in the middle. They wanted to replace that with a slider. Day of contract signing was Wednesday and as I sat in the kitchen knowing they never showed me as much as a picture of what the replacements would look like or an itemization of the work to be done, I looked out my lovely wavy windows to my garden and said, I really don't want to lose the character. Can I at least keep the window in the bathroom? Answer: nope, against the regulations. Ugh! And I signed ANYWAY! The rest of the day all's I could think about was my lovely windows in a pile in some junkyard or they were going to reuse them. (I don't trust anyone!) I was sick to my stomach literally. I came home that afternoon and searched for ways to restore my windows and make them safe for my daughter. I FOUND YOU GUYS!! I was so thrilled I called my husband and told him I could not go through with it. VHCB and my husband weren't too happy with me but boy am I excited to begin my restorations and make this a safe place for my little one and teach her that not everyone has to go along with this throwaway society. I suppose I am shocked that the lead abatement which is involved with VHCB would not suggest alternatives for me. I ALMOST got sucked in. I shall return to pick your brains! I guess I didn't make the long story short. I swear it could be a lot longer. Really. Picture below...yeah, those storms need to go, don't they?!

Lorrie

house.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  38 KB
 Viewed:  296 Time(s)

house.jpg

Last edited by lojo on Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
jade

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yahoo! chaulk one up for the homeowner! i always say that i prefer an educated customer as they know the value of maintaining the original wood windows that have stood the test of time and have proven themselves over many generations....

actually, the storms are a good investment for both avoiding heat loss and protecting the exterior side of your window.....

CONGRATUALTIONS, you have done a good thing!....good luck with removing the lead paint from your windows....i'm curious, what did the contractor say about the paint on the frame and trim of your windows? some local laws require total removal of lead paint, others allow the use of a lead paint encapsulator...check out some of the major brands of paint for further information......

.....jade
lojo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jade! (That's my daughter's name.)

I do feel really proud of myself that I followed my gut and did not go through with the destruction. However, over the summer my husband dumped extra shutters and the original screens because we were so frightened of the lead and didn't realize we could safely work on them. I am considering going to the dump on Monday to see if they are still there. So you think I should keep the storms up? They look attrocious don't they? I like the ones on the OWR page with the screen inserts. Someday maybe. But for now I shall focus on one window at a time.

As for the contractor, we only met him briefly when he was measuring the windows. This whole thing was a very strange experience. One that I never expected. What I was told by the Vermont lead abatement project director was they would scrape down to the wood on the frame and trim and prime it. Then they would put metal liners in the sills. They weren't going to remove all lead paint just repair the areas of friction, cover the floors with carpet (YUCK) that had lead paint, and strip down the areas of peeling paint. The woman that lived here prior also put up some old lead painted wood in the bathroom like beadboard. It looks great but my daughter enjoys pealing the chips! Yikes! Now that I saw the terrific steam method I might not even replace with the beadboard sheets from the box store. It truly is beatiful wood and adds terrific character but I couldn't have her on the potty peeling the lead paint off of the wood. They didn't mention a lead paint encapsulator but I will look into it. I would absolutely love to strip all the wood down. Not sure if it would be feasible with the floor. What do you think. Maybe I could do one small room and see how it goes with some steam. I really don't want to cover over it. Boy am I glad I found this place. I don't feel like such an oddball.

Well, thanks for your response and encouragement. I need someone to cheer me on!

I am still trying to learn the terminology on the window parts.
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorrie:

Welcome to Historic HomeWorks, where rational minds prevail. Your first step is to immediately begin doing lead-safe housekeeping.

I quote from the VHCB website:

"Get a free copy of Lead Paint Safety: A Field Guide for Painting, Home Maintenance, and Renovation Work (a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Publication) Vermont residents can order this publication by calling (802) 828-5064, or you may download a copy of the guide. "

I use this Guide and often recommend it. I suggest you get it, study it, and follow it. This Guide shows how to make your house safe while maintaining and saving your existing windows. It also shows you how saving your windows fits into the regulations.

Quote:
I am shocked that the lead abatement which is involved with VHCB would not suggest alternatives for me. I ALMOST got sucked in.

I, too, am shocked, but not suprised! It is beyond me exactly how and why the VHCB and their contractor would say that a window cannot be saved, when they promote the Guide, which clearly shows how windows can be saved and maintained safely. I think they are simple taking the easy fast-buck way out of the situation. Stick to your guns, and make your own decissions about how to make your fine old house a safe place to live. Begin by upgrading your housekeeping methods to be more lead-safe. Then use lead-safe methods for maintaining and repairing your windows.

Download the guide for free here:

http://www.hud.gov/offices/lead/training/LBPguide.pdf

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not do any lead paint removal while your daughter is so young. Consider making your place clean and safe. Temporarily cover up surfaces for 5 to 8 years until she is older and has better personal health habits.

I suggest going back to the VHCB and asking them for a set of recommendations that will include saving your windows as shown in the Lead Paint Safety...Guide. Please let us know what they say.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: