What's in a name!
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> The Business Side, Vermont, 2004 & 2006, Jacksonville 2007  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sswiat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: What's in a name! Reply with quote

I am pondering a change of name for my busine ss. I am looking for thoughts on what the forum users like or dislike about business names.
Do you think the business name matters (within reason)?

For those of us in business, how did they choose their business name?

Was it personal? Last name, first name or something with personal meaning? Is it descriptive of your business or your field? Or was it just a name that you just like the way it sounded?

(one of the most descriptive names with a tag line I ever heard was for a company that does closet units to add more space an organize it more efficiently. The company was called "Spacemen" the tag line was "helping you expand your universe".)

Has anyone began to dislike or grown less fond of their business name as time passes? What do you do then? Is a name change worth it? Will it really attract more business or better describe who you are or what you do? Why did you tire of it?

Looking forward to thoughts and opinions on this one.
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your written statement of the issue is an excellent start.

A a good business name is easily spoken, spelled, remembered and
recognized. It doesn't have to be descriptive, since the description is
what people come to think of as the meaning behind the name.

Do not consider my business names (John Leeke, Preservation Consultant;
and, John Leeke's Historic HomeWorks) to be particularly good examples.
I'm
currently working on "re-branding" myself and my business, which might
include name changes.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
DBowers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: What in a name? Reply with quote

When I was working on a name for my business, I thought like your closet company. I wanted a name that described what my business was about. I think Olde Window Restorers requires little explanation. So far no one has asked, "what do you do?", so I think it works..

Dave
jade

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John...
I'm curious about your 're-branding' and name change........
........Jade
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, "John Leeke, Preservation Consultant" gives a somewhat academic "above it all" feeling, that really isn't accurate or helpful in many situations where I know I'm needed and have something to offer. It's been working OK for a couple of decades now, but I need a shift that will generate two or three times the interest in my work.

"Historic HomeWorks" gets part-way to where I want to be.

Something like "John Leeke, American Preservationeer," you know, like "pioneer," is who I am, but does not have that immediate recognition of the idea that's needed.

You could help by letting me know who you think I am. What catches your interest in my work? Why do you want to come to the window workshop?

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
joshuaviktor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Business Names Reply with quote

A business name should be short and simple. Being cute is great, if you want to go out of business.

Find a word that is known, but not widely used, or a word that embodies what you do. Make it yours. "Federal Express" is one of the best names I know. Federal was widely known, but not widely used. Express, same. Fast delivery service across the country. Great name.

try www.m-w.com Merriam webster dictionary, and THESAURUS.

There are online rhyming dictionaries, roget's thesaurus, etc. Get a wordlist going, and try some combos out on some friends.

Good luck.

Joshua
Tmurphy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to my attorney about possibly changing our name or having a sister company that had a different name. Our company name is "Colonial Barn Restoration" but we now do a lot more than just restore barns. He said that name recognition is very important and we should not use a different name.

One thing that we realized by accident is that it is important to have a name that starts with a letter that is early in the alphabet. Our marketing guy pointed this out to us. Most directories list companies in alphabetical order and that is the order that people pursue leads in. We often turn up first in directories.

Another thing that we found out by accident is that we do very well in the search engines because people use our name in seaches. People will often search "Barn Restoration" or "Colonial Barn" when looking for a barn restoration contractor. We come up first on a lot of search engines for these searches partially because it is part of our name.

Tim

jade

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i had a business partner in the early 90's my company name was heartwood carpentry....when i went on my own and did a lot of remodeling, i changed it to heartwood building & contracting...when i moved from the cape to western mass, i changed the name to heartwood building & restoration...now i focus exclusively on window restoration--argh, another name change??? i answer my phone 'good morning/afternoon, heartwood...i think the business is referred to as 'heartwood' so if i downsized the name to heartwood window restoration, i don't think i would confuse people.....

what about colonial restoration--if restoration is indeed what it is that you do?

just a thought....
....jade
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> The Business Side, Vermont, 2004 & 2006, Jacksonville 2007  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: