Web site
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> The Business Side, Vermont, 2004 & 2006, Jacksonville 2007  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sswiat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Web site Reply with quote

John: (or any business side forum visitors),

Is a web site crucial in today's business environment?

I do not have one yet. I am considering one. I have mixed feedback. My site will not have any items for sale but will be advertising. I know some who have nice sites but the "traffic" is minimal and the inquiries are small. I just would like some way of determining ROI.

Any help would be great.
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A website can be an important part of almost any business's marketing program today, if most of your customers use the internet to find the services they use. The cost of a website can be rather modest, perhaps starting at $10 to $30 per month for the Internet Service Provider (ISP) plus one-time costs of an initial fee of less than $100. for your internet address and building the website. Most ISPs provide storage space and a utility that automatically builds a website. A single-page website can be easily set up in a in a few to several hours by any logically minded person who knows how to use a web browser program such as Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Would you get a payback on this? It depends on the information you present in the website. If it is good marketing, then yes the payback will be there, eventually. The payback period would probably not be measured in days or weeks; more likely months or a year or two.

The websites that produce minimal traffic and small inquiries are probably not producing what is needed because of the information presented, not the fact that it is a website. It could also be that the customers just don't use the internet to find what those businesses have to offer.

Generally websites that offer more than advertising produce better marketing results. For example, here at HistoricHomeWorks.com people come to use the extensive library, and participate right here in this forum. While they are here, they learn about the business offerings.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
DBowers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Website or not to website? Reply with quote

As a novice web site developer for a non-profit and 2 businesses, (my own), I find a website is an important element for reaching your customers. I have my website address on every piece of information for Olde Window Restorers.

While not everyone uses the web, I find that more people use it everyday realizing what a great resource it can be. By having a "snapshot" of my business online, it allows people to investigate my services at their leisure. I receive numerous requests for quotes from my site. My goal is not a high number of hits but to attract people who are potential customers.

I pay $14.95 per month for my site hosting and since I am my own webmaster, (good news, bad news), all it requires is my time. For me it works and is cost effective.

For those without these skills, ask around for people who are hobby website developers. Your site does not have to be complex but should be professional looking and contain information that informs people about the services you offer, If you provide additional information, so much the better.

Hope this is of some help.
Prairie Homeowner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Dave,
It sounds like you are your own webmaster. What web design software do you use?

Thanks.

DBowers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Webste development Reply with quote

For the most part I use 1st Page, a free WYSIWYG editor with a number of drop and drag and automated features. There are a lots of developmet tools and services on the web that supply templates and fill in the blank type approach, 1st Page does not come with templates but if willing to spend the time is a useful tool. There is a new version 1st Page 2006 and can be downloaded. It is free. http://www.evrsoft.com/1stpage3.shtml[/url]
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> The Business Side, Vermont, 2004 & 2006, Jacksonville 2007  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: