a couple of adhesive questions...
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Interior Storm Windows  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mateo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: a couple of adhesive questions... Reply with quote

Hi,

I am going to follow your great directions and make interior storm windows for my 1888 victorian! I am truly lucky and have all the original double hung, colored glass (blue, yellow & white) 6 foot windows - but they let in a considerable amount of cold air!

I was wondering if anyone has tried using the heavy-duty spray adhesive that John mentioned, for adhering the shrink wrap plastic to the wood?

I plan to take these out in the spring and store them, but know that sometimes the bond of the double stick tape dries out - especially (I would think) on a painted wood surface.

Any thoughts?

-Amy
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind the spray adhesive is only for use with fin & pile weatherstripping when you are using the weatherstripping to secure the edge of the film in the weatherstripping slot, to keep the film from slipping out of the groove.

Do not use the spray adhesive as the only way to attach the film to the wood.

We are getting longer lasting results with the double stick tape if the wood is painted, shellacked or varnished first. A quick coat of shellac or water-borne acrylic varnish is good, let it dry and cure thoroughly.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
mateo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: one more question... Reply with quote

Hi John,
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm going to use the round foam weatherstripping as the gasket and cut it in half. I primed and painted all of the wood and the sheen is semi-gloss. I'm just trying to think ahead (so I'm not doing this often) so I want to adhere everything as tight as possible.

My sister had an idea: how about a hot glue gun to attach the foam to the sides? I'm sure that they get abuse from sliding them in and out. Has anyone ever used this method or is the double stick tape stronger than it sounds!

thanks for all your help!

-Amy
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot glue could work. Try it out on scraps and a limited test section of one panel and let us know how it works.

I like double stick tape because when it fails, it's easy to remove, clean the surface and re-stick with new tape--very maintainable.

We get a few years life out of the tape, more on the shady side of the house and less on the sunny side.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Interior Storm Windows  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: