Where does one start?
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Questions & Comments  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captain rick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Where does one start? Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I am new here and getting ready to purchase an old house built in 1858 in Lincolnton, NC. The house is in bad shape but not so bad that it isn't livable. People lived there as recent as 2 months ago. I know it will take a lot of work and time, sweat and tears not to mention money. My question to the forum is this, Just where does one start to restore an old property? Is there a rule of thumb that tells you to start in a certain area or just pick a beginning spot and go for it? I would appreciate any and all responses.
Steve Quillian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about to wrap up a window project for a client in Gulfport, FL. She recently bought it from an elderly lady who lost track of the maintenance. Leaky roofs, windows and doors painted shut among other things. Time and again she mentioned how nice it would be to level the floors....

She decided not to level the floors because she already had plaster fixed, doors planed, walls painted and other things and to address leveling the floors would undo anything she had already invested time and money in.

Some floors/foundations don't need a lot and some folks like a little roll in their floors. "It adds character." But if your the type that needs floors to be level, or if your foundation needs work, I'd do this first to keep from undoing anything else you might address - like cracks in the walls or doors not opening/closing properly.

captain rick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Where does one start Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, I had been giving that possible starting point a good deal of thought. Right now we aren't sure just good the foundation is and after the inspection we will know better. Again thanks for the reply.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Questions & Comments  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: