JAMES L. JACKSON IRON WORKS
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Questions & Comments  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MY2DOLLZ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: JAMES L. JACKSON IRON WORKS Reply with quote

Hello my husband and I have bought a home built in 1850 that was once a single family that was split terribly into a four family. Since remodeling the home as it was unable to be restored because of frightful damage left behind by the prior owners we have discovered a few treasures. The one I speak of today is a fireplace grate that appears to be cast iron. On the back of the grate the name "James L. Jackson New York #10" is stamped. Does anyone have any historic knowledge of this name and or the potential value it holds.
karlssoni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James L. Jackson was my wife's great-great(?)-grandfather. Google <James> and you should find lots of information.

We bought a circa 1860 house here in Rhode Island and were amazed to find "Jackson's Sons" on the iron smoke shelf in the faux marble (painted slate) fireplace. This fireplace was apparently installed when the house was retrofitted with a coal furnace to replace the original coal stoves.

Are you near New York City? The Jackson foundry was in Manhattan. The Jackson family seems to have operated quite a few different foundry businesses. James L. is said to have started his business in 1840, and he sold it to William H. Jackson about 1882, if my sieve of a memory is functioning properly.

John Karlsson
Hope Valley, RI
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Questions & Comments  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: