Jiffy Steamer 1300 Watt
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lojo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Jiffy Steamer 1300 Watt Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

Can anyone give me some insight as to whether a 1300 watt Jiffy Steamer will work for a steam box and on windows, floors, doors, etc. I know that 1500 watts has been recommended, but I have an opportunity to buy this one for $25.00!!
jade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi lojo...
what's the model number? i use the j-4000--no bells or whistles...

it may be that the model you are looking at will take longer to get the results you are looking for...i typically put the sash in the steamer and have another task to work on while the sash are cookin'....no down time around here!

...jade
lojo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jade,

It is the 2000 which runs at 1300 watts, the 4000 is 1500 watts. So do you think it will just take a little more time than the other or will it be worthless for my purposes unless I have a pretty dress to steam. It's hard to beat the price.
jade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just checked out the steamer online...my advice is to make sure it works well and buy the j-2000 for $25...since you will be saving well over $100 you will have a good excuse to treat yourself to another dress!

let us know how it goes.....
...jade
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steam is steam. The 1300 watt steamer will probably work just fine as a portable steamer with the proper steam heads. It may take somewhat longer to fill the box with steam, but it should work OK.

We have been having some success using the steam right out of the end of the hose, for example, removing the paint buildup in the sash channels. It takes only 5 or 10 seconds of steam to loosen the paint in 2 or 3 inches of the channel, then it can be easily scraped away. It takes just 3 or 4 minutes to remove all the paint from a 30 inch channel. I think the 1300 watt steamer would work well for this particular task.

For $25 it would be worth a try. One of the nice things about the Jiffy steamers is that you can easily get replacement parts from the company if something is broken or worn out. I just replaced a damaged switch on mine, it cost about $20 and I had it in three days.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
lojo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all!

I'll give it a try and keep you posted on the progress. I'll try to build a box within the next few weeks and see how it goes.
rmlogan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lojo,

I have the opportunity to get a jiffy j-2 for $70.
How did this model work for you? I also plan to mainly use it for a vertical steam cab.
any tips are greatly appreciated. I know this is a very old post, so hopefully you are still preserving old windows!

Thanks, Michael Logan

Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: