Replacing Wooden Columns on a Brick Stoop
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> All Other  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbasner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Replacing Wooden Columns on a Brick Stoop Reply with quote

Hi John,

I need to prepare a report detailing how I would replace (for the assignment I need to assume that the columns need total replacement) a pair of rotted wooden columns that support a roof over a brick stoop (photo attached). I've come across some information about wooden porches, but nothing that deals with a wooden column on brick masonry -- I have a few specific questions:

1. How would I set up the temporary support system?
2. How would I dismantle the existing columns from the brick and from above?
3. How would the new columns be installed and what actions could be taken to prevent water/insect damage? Any special type of wood, waterproofing, paint? For instance, I've read that ventilation helps and that the plinth should be partially hollow in order to allow for water passage, but wouldn't that lead to damage in the brick? Is there a way to install some kind of piping in the plinth that could travel through the stoop to a drainage hole on the side, directing water to the soil/garden next to the stoop?

Thank you for your help!

-Celia
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> All Other  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: