French drains under brick
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Roofing & Flashing  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sean

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: French drains under brick Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with french drains under a brick sidewalk? I have two downspouts which unload onto the brick sidewalk in front of my house. I probably spend 30-40 hours every winter chipping ice so people (including me) don't kill themselves in front of the house. The brick there is at an angle, so it's very easy to slip. I was thinking about running a perforated pvc pipe, french drain style, under the sidewalk and tree lawn to eliminate the problem. Anyone tried this, or something similar. I don't want to just french drain them into the ground, because it will just come back into the basement.

Sean
renaissance restorations

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: French Drains Reply with quote

[DELETED]

Last edited by renaissance restorations on Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sean

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. Do you ever have problems with them backing up due to very heavy rains or winter freezes? I really want to be able to go under the sidewalk, but I don't want to ruin the bricks either or create a different issue because the bricks are heaving when the drain freezes. Also, how far away from the house should the pipe run?

Sean
TDL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: French Drains Reply with quote

Renaissance Restorations wrote:
When I put in French drains, I dig a trench 1' deep by 8" wide. The walls and base of the trench are lined with 5mil poly. Perforated pipe covered with a fabric sock, to prevent silt from clogging the drain holes is then installed, followed by a layer of crushed stone. All drains lead away from the house, in some cases do a dry well on the property.

I installed a system just like this last month. Before the rain spout was dumping out right next to the house then flowing into the basement. I did a line about 25' long and we have had several heavy rains and so far no issues. The line more or less runs parallel to the house along the planter. I couldn't go strait out due to grading.
JohnMoore4u

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Sean You can get full details about the french drains here - http://www.encyclopediaofhomeimprovements.com/frenchdrains.html

I hope it might help you and others!
Sean

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone!
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Roofing & Flashing  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: