Shared Weights?
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
restocarp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Shared Weights? Reply with quote

Has anyone ever heard of or had experience with shared weights or ganged double hung windows. I believe they operate as follows:
We have a set of four double hung windows. The weights in the outside pockets are installed normally, but the upper weight within the common pocket between two windows is attached to both upper sashes and the lower weight is attached to both lower sashes. This means that all for windows would have to be operated at the same time. There is also evidence that there may have been a secondary pulley added inside of the weight pocket to allow the sashes to operate independently. We are in the unique situation of having to reinstall these windows even though we didn't remove them. The weight pockets are too small for four weights and there are 6ix larger weights and four smaller. Has anybody seen this and am I correct in my installation assumptions?

TDL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that set up before. I had a picture of the set up but cannot recall where it is. It sounds like you have the design figured out.
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several different schemes were devised to do this so each sash can still be independently operated.

Sometimes all the weights were in the wall over to the side of the bank of windows, with the ropes running in a channel above or below the windows.

Sometimes there was a pulley attached to the top of the weights, see photo below, and sometimes a pulley above the weight attached within the weight pocket.

I've seen three complex systems like this and each time it was rigged entirely different.

Untitled-2 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.2 KB
 Viewed:  244 Time(s)

Untitled-2 copy.jpg

OneWindowWeightForTwo.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  162.81 KB
 Viewed:  239 Time(s)

OneWindowWeightForTwo.jpg

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought

Last edited by johnleeke on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:39 am; edited 2 times in total
restocarp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. That was exactly what I was looking for. i wanted to be able to have historical evidence before I tried to "reinvent the wheel." I didn't think the client would be happy with having to open all of the windows at the same time. We thought about switching the pulleys out for tape balances, but I didn't want to replace the original hardware that has survived this long. There is one "awning pulley" surviving in one of the second floor windows. The rest seem to have disappeared. Thanks again, I'll report back with our progress.
sschoberg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the place to come for answers or what!
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also possible to use a single weight on each side of a regular double-hung window. The pulley on the top of the weight should have a diameter that is equal to the distance between the pulleys in the jamb, to avoid jamming the cords or chains in the jamb pulleys when the weight is high.

I have done this when I had to make my own weights, which I made of cast concrete. Concrete is not as heavy as cast iron or lead, but is readily available, much easier to work with and the whole pocket is available for just one weight so there is enough room for a larger weight.

This works well when the sashes weigh the same, but if the sashes are significantly different in size it doesn't work well because half the weight is always equally distributed to each sash.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
jeremyjones

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shared weights are also covered in the book "Working Windows" by Terry Meany. Pages 31-33.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: