Old Time Putty
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors Goto page Previous  1, 2 
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy in NH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Mixing Perma-Glaze Reply with quote

I am looking at getting a full container of Perma-Glaze and seperating it into 1 gallong HDPE (i.e. peanut butter) buckets. Given the concerns about minimizing oxygen exposure yet getting a good mix I figured I'd query you all as to the latest recommended methods. 'Planning to use a Milwaukee Hole-Hawg (as in very heavy duty drill) and either a drywall paddle or something like a dough hook. Most likely will use the side-pipe handle on the drill so I keep my wrists intact.

Suggestions and comments?
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jade has used a powerful electric drill for mixing, I'm sure she'll chime in here.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
jade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I am!! Andy save electricity and your insurance for other more pressing matters....I almost broke my whole body using an industrial type drill press!

You will notice oil sitting on top of the putty when you first remove the top. Scoop out the oil and put it aside in a plastic contain--it's not easy to do this, but worry not. Separate the contents of the five gallon bucket into one gallon containers. Pour the oil evenly over each container. You may find that the putty closer to the bottom of the container is dry. Add a bit of boiled linseed oil to get the desired consistency.

My experience is that the putty on top has a bit too much oil. I roll out the putty (a handful or two at a time as needed), sprinkle a little Plaster of Paris over it then roll and mix in your hands. Add as needed......

The main ingredients for PermaGlaze are soy oil (not the edible kind) and linseed oil.

Everyone uses this product a little differently so perhaps you will hear from others....
Good luck!
...Jade
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors Goto page Previous  1, 2 
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: