finished glazing & painting, now what?
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
griffinhall

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: finished glazing & painting, now what? Reply with quote

I have now finished glazing & painting some of my 118 windows. I now wish to get them clean before I reinstall them. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this without hurting my dry( one month glazing, one week paint) but not fully cured paint ( high gloss oil) and glazing?

I was going to scrape any paint flecks off with a razor, clean with a dilute warm water detergent solution and dry with a chalkboard eraser. My concern is with removing the oily glazing residue on the glass without damaging the aforementioned finish.

Thanks

jade

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your progress!

Denatured alcohol does a splendid job on removing oil and other dirt. The directions suggest cutting it with water but I use it full strength. Use a spray bottle for application. It does not affect oil paint but it will cause a change in acrylic latex paint. I use the alcohol with Bounty papertowels--this brand is good in that it does not leave lint on the glass. Because the alcohol tends to evaporate very quickly, I saturate a paper towel and spray some on the glass as well. If you are using a latex paint, contact Dave Bowers of Olde Window Restorers for the concoction he mixes. I've used it and it works quite well. Dave is listed on this forum.

Good Luck....
...Jade
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: