Cleaning panes before re-glazing
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrsludge

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Cleaning panes before re-glazing Reply with quote

I searched a bit but didn't see a good answer. What's the best way to get the glass panes cleaned off while they're out of the sashes? Mine have a residue of old paint around the edges, along w/ misc grime elsewhere.

I tried soaking in TSP and hot water without much success. I finally scrubbed the edges with a scotch pad under running water, but that seemed like it scratched the glass in some cases as it dragged whatever dirt was on there across the pane.

More steam? Hot water and ammonia? Suggestions?

Thanks!
rncx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use a razor scraper, like one of these...

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1276437&kw=razor+scraper&origkw=razor+scraper&searchId=39459119973

you don't want to use anything abrasive. as long as you keep the razor flat on the glass it won't scratch it.
jade

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to soak the glass in a bucket of water and simple green...it would soften paint, putty and residue which made it easier to use a razor...thing is, i don't like messes and the water on the panes made a mess...i now use a razor--or should i say razors as i use one new one for every 2-3 8x10 panes...

for a spray cleaner, stay away from ammoniated cleaners...make your own cleaner: 3 drops dish detergent, 4 oz of rubbing alcohol, a tablespoon of vinegar in about 12 ounces of water...

good luck!
...jade
BillRobinson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be very careful using a razor blade on glass.
A ragged blade will scratch the glass.
If you do use a blade be sure to keep a fresh edge and keep the glass surface free of debris.

Glass is porous enough that a dry rease marker will leave residue and show up when the sun shines through at the right angle.

http://www.glasswebsite.com/publications/reference/GIB-Proper%20Procedures,%20Cleaning%2001-0300.pdf

TDL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to work in a prefinishing shop and we used razors on everything. Never had a problem as long as we kept them sharp. We had a line of people wanting us to do work for them so I think our quality was there.
BillRobinson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"as long as we kept them sharp"
That is the key.

johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still soaking in water, with a little Simple Green or any detergent. The key is soaking over night, or two full days. This softens up the old putty and paint real nice, really, turns it to a sludge most of which stays in the bucket or tank.

I use a razor blade scraper, but it seldom gets too dull, I change it after a month or two when it starts to get rusty.

To control the water and 'mess' I spread a bath towel out over my bench top, and lay the glass on that, flipping the pane over edge-for-edge, cleaning each side and flipping it on over to the right after each side, onto cleaner parts of the towel. First I scrape off any remaining paint, then wash each side twice. I have 3 or 4 towels I use for this and simply launder them along with the used cloth diapers and old cotton T-shirts I use for cleaning rags. (paper towels cost too much and kill too many trees unnecessarily)

When mixing up your own cleaning solution don't forget to add that powerful secret ingredient. (1/4 drop blue food coloring) Without that you just cannot get your glass clean, but with that blueish tint you've got real CLEANING POWER. Of course, if you want the KICK of SPARKLE you have to dispense your solution from one of those fancy sexy-curvy spray bottles. Oooh, la la! (Sure it's "sexist" but who cares if it cleans the glass?)

If you put vinegar in your cleaning solution and have problems with your paint peeling up along the glass, give your glass a final mist and wipe with a solution of plain distilled water with just a bit of alcohol. (fresh distilled water is 'non-ionic' and so does a better job of cleaning. I've starting using it for making all my cleaning solution.)

I've got an ultrasonic cleaner coming from my bother in Pennsylvania. I visited one window shop where they used this and their glass cleaning was very fast. I'll let you know how it works.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Haldis Fearn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a great tip from a window washer. If you put a little soapy water on before using the razor blade you almost never will scratch the glass. I tried it and it really works. Haldis
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the main discussion on glass cleaning:

http://historichomeworks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9121

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: