GLASS CLEANER
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jade

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: GLASS CLEANER Reply with quote

I have numerous half full containers of glass cleaners that didn't stand up to their claims for me..........

One product that seemed promising is Johnson's Windex with vinegar rather than ammonia. I thought this would be glazing and paint friendly. I even used it on the many floor to ceiling windows in my own home. Looks like an artist's rendering of 'papertowel streaks on glass' after one week. It's my guess that it reacts negatively with UV rays. Contacted Johnson and was told that I need to use clean white papertowel---DUHA. Of course I use clean white papertowel. They offered to replace the bottle of cleaner but I had purchased a whole case of it.....

Using newspaper on 16 over 16 lite sash seems to rough to me...it would be difficult to get into the corners.......Does anyone have experience using a homemade solution that includes white vinegar?

I look forward to hearing your comments.......Jade
WindowWoman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: GLASS CLEANER Reply with quote

I bought a bunch of white cotton "glass cleaning cloths" from Home Depot a while ago as I got annoyed with paper towels. The cloths are great, we use very little Windex, and the cloths have been washed and washed. They aren't pretty any more, but they still work great. They leave almost no lint. The hemmed corners make getting in to clean out corners somewhat easier, although I am still looking for a magic corner cleaner.

jade wrote:
I have numerous half full containers of glass cleaners that didn't stand up to their claims for me..........

One product that seemed promising is Johnson's Windex with vinegar rather than ammonia. I thought this would be glazing and paint friendly. I even used it on the many floor to ceiling windows in my own home. Looks like an artist's rendering of 'papertowel streaks on glass' after one week. It's my guess that it reacts negatively with UV rays. Contacted Johnson and was told that I need to use clean white papertowel---DUHA. Of course I use clean white papertowel. They offered to replace the bottle of cleaner but I had purchased a whole case of it.....

Using newspaper on 16 over 16 lite sash seems to rough to me...it would be difficult to get into the corners.......Does anyone have experience using a homemade solution that includes white vinegar?

I look forward to hearing your comments.......Jade
jade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Alison..........

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the recipe I use - wear rubber gloves because of the TSP

To a half bucket of water add:
1 tablespoon Dawn dishwashing soap (the grease-cutter one)
1/4 cup TSP (trisodium phosphate)
1/4 cup of white vinegar to cut down on the streaking.
DBowers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Window Cleaner Recipe Reply with quote

Here is one that I like: It makes a quart:

28 ounces water
1 TBS white Vinegar
4 ounces isopropyl rubbing alcohol
Couple drops of dish soap

The alcohol makes it dry streak free and removes grease and other substances that soap and water won't. Better grade paper towel or lint free cotton clothes described above. You will like the results.

Dave
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the main discussion on glass cleaning:

http://historichomeworks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9121

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: