Fletcher Point Driver for 12 over 12 glass panes
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack S

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Fletcher Point Driver for 12 over 12 glass panes Reply with quote

I am looking to purchase a Fletcher point driver but I do not know the model I need for historic 12 over 12 colonial windows. My glass pane size is 6" by 8" so it could not be any longer than 6" so I can properly drive points into all 4 sides of each pane. Does anyone know of the model that Fletcher makes that would do this? Any help would be much appreciated. John Leeke I believe the model that you had in your workshop fit my glass size. I believe it was an older model driver.
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the workshop I showed the Fletcher #5, which is 6 1/4" long. It will set comfortably flat into glazing dados that are wider than 6 5/16". I have used it on 6" glass, tipping it at a slight angle, which worked fine. This does leave the point on a slight angle away from the glass--no problems developed when I did it, but perhaps not best practice. Keep in mind that any work vector towards the glass, as in this case, is more likely to crack the glass.

On 6x8 glass it might be OK (but not best practice) to set glazing points just on the 6" sides, in which case the Fletcher #5 can set flat on the glass.

The Fletcher #5 I have is of modern manufacture, although that pattern of tool has been made exactly the same at least since 1910. The diamond point driver was invented by George Hubbard about 1880 in Windsor, Vermont. You can see the original prototypes and early manufactured models at the American Precision Museum in Windsor, in the same mill building in which they were invented. The are astonishing similar to the modern #5.

You can see a photo of an early Hubbard point driver in the "Windows on Preservation" book, published by the American Precision Museum, which also includes a series of window making machinery in their collection. Order it by calling the Museum at: 802 674-5781.

The book also has an enlightening description of making sash by hand with photos of Bill McCarthy's demonstration.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought

Last edited by johnleeke on Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jack S

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Fletcher # 5 Point Driver Reply with quote

Thanks John.

That is the model which I will get. I appreciate your help. Happy Easter!
jade

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have both the fletcher framemaster and the #5 point driver...i use the framemaster exclusively...on some sash, the point sticks out onto the glass a bit and needs to be set with a glazing hammer or heavy chisel--very easy...the #5 does not sit directly on the glass but perhaps a 1/32" off the glass which i do not like...

it would be nice if you could try each before purchasing one...

good luck!
...jade
Jack S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Point Driver Reply with quote

Jade thanks for the tip. I think I'll try the number 5 for starts. Is there a special point that you recommend for each gun?

Jack
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: