removing triple track storm windows
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susan Hatch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: removing triple track storm windows Reply with quote

Hello,

I am interested in removing our triple track storm windows because they don't function well--that is, I can't open them.

I was told by someone at the local lumber yard that storm windows, per a study, don't work because they gap is too large. All they do is block wind and noise.

He also talked about the sensation of wind and draft as convection, the hot air rising, and the cold, dropping, which is why heat sources were often placed under windows.

I am in Maine, but I was thinking that if they don't even work that well, why not use curtains, whose r-value is probably higher than any glass, or try an internal storm.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I am hoping to have the old windows restored.

susan
jade

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi susan.....
welcome to the site!

let me guess, the guy at the lumber store sells replacement windows...there are so many studies showing the advantages of installing good storm windows to your old single pane windows for increased energy efficiency...

if you do a search on 'storm window energy efficiency', you will find numerous articles by people who are not attempting to sell you anything...

www.arkema-inc.com/pdf/additives/storm_windows.pdf
http://www.houseinprogress.net/archives/001506.html
http://www.slideshare.net/ncenergy/jim-devine-from-frigid-to-friskey-window-efficiency/

let us know what we can do to help you head in the direction of restoring your windows....

...jade
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: