Disassembling/reassembling historic homes
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Questions & Comments  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Storey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Disassembling/reassembling historic homes Reply with quote

I"m not sure where this belongs, but I'd sure like to get some feedback soon. In Goodland, Indiana, there's an 1865 (one of our oldest homes) Italianate Foursquare (I guess) that's been in great condition, pretty-much moth balled, for the last few decades. No updates, except old wiring and bathroom. To be brief, I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the feasibility of disassembling, moving, and reassembling a house of this age. A family started working on it in April '08, couldn't finish, and have left it with 60% of plaster/lath gone, moisture due to OSB only on 1/3 of roof, and a destroyed living room floor (joists now too bowed/broken to keep) where plaster was stockpiled for dumpster. I know wood salvage is in fashion, but reassembly seems "greener" and more efficient. My main concern is brittleness of wood or other issues I might encounter in a 140+ year old house. The house is in a poor location and in a town that cares nothing about restoration, so it's more sensible to move it. I'm guessing $50,000 to move it including utility lines, so I'm encouraging a group to take it on as a historical project and take it apart instead. Plan be is to salvage windows, trim, etc. at least. Any thoughts? It was the town's first doctor, but too few care. Thanks.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Questions & Comments  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: