Having new wood storm windows built
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uabchris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Having new wood storm windows built Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have read up on all the details to ask my windowmaker (measuring, slope of sill, etc), but I have a few more questions on sealing the windows.

* Is it ok to weatherstrip the backs of the window to seal it as it is installed?
* If the storm is raised off the sill (how much?) for air flow and condensate drain, is it reducing performance of the storm?
* I am concerned about air infiltration, were storms original intent/purpose to protect against snow, rain, AND air infiltration in that cavity?

Thanks in advance!
Chris
JLee

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, if you've searched here you may have already learned that the storms aren't really supposed to be air tight (you'll have condensation problems and possibly wood decay). Your double-hung windows should be weatherstripped and the first line of defense against air infiltration. The storms do help by blocking the wind and slowing down the infiltration, but it's not their job to provide an airtight seal. I had a kerf routed on the bottom rail and installed weatherstripping, but cut weep holes for drainage and airflow.
The storm should have about 1/8" at the bottom for drainage and airflow, that is the proper method and a tight seal will probably shorten the life of the unit and even your main units and sills.
Storms also add a lot of sound protection if thats desirable.
I hope your window maker or installer knows this! Make sure you measure carefully - you'll likely need to trim each sash to have the proper 1/16" gap around the perimeter. I was pretty picky about consistency on that, so my hand planer got a lot of use.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: