mend for broken glass
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: mend for broken glass Reply with quote

I remember seeing here there was some product that you could use to "glue" broken glass so that the crack isn't visible. I did a look around, but I can't even remember how long ago it was. Is this product, if it even exists, expensive? I have wonderful circular crown glass sash panes but more than half are cracked. I would hate to have to get rid of them seeing how the likelyhood of replacement is almost nil.

Thanks.

Sean
sswiat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only glass glue/epoxy I am aware of is HXTAL available at www.talasonline.com which is a conservators supply house. It is somewhat tricky to use as you have to be accurate with the part mixture (mixed by gram weight). It also takes a fair amount of time to set up. You will need the release tape also.

It isn't cheap but with the small amount used to repair glass, one bottle will last a lifetime.
jade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have used a product from http://www.deltakits.com/ ...they specialize in auto windshield crack fixes and polishing....i have used in on very old, extremely thin and unflat (waves and curves aplenty) with some success...the 1/2 ounce bottle of resin costs about $35...
30001 MagniBond Resin
http://www.deltakits.com/shopping/resins/product/80-30001-magnibond-resin-15-ml-plastic-bottle-with-glass-dropper
i have a uv lamp for gluing but you can sit the glued glass out in the sun for curing....

good luck...
...jade

Last edited by jade on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had success healing cracked glass using Loctite 350. It is a one-part ultra-violet cure adhesive formulated especially for glass. Set the glass in sunlight for 20-30 minutes for cure.

It is usually more readily available than Hxtal. I get it at my local hardware store where they have a big display of many Loctite products. I suspect it is available online.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try LocTite Glass Glue. Readily available, low cost, refractive index similar to most window glass so joint is not so apparent, quick cure time, actually works. http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/sg_glass/technical-data/Loctite-Glass-Glue.htm. I've used it by setting the two pieces of glass in the bedding putty with the broken joint slightly open, then applying the glue, then moving the two pieces together, adjusting the two pieces of glass optically to get them in the same plane, letting the glue set for 20 minutes, then finishing the glazing. First use in place for about 20 years, still holding up.

Don Wagstaff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Always difficult to make a good picture from inside out of windows but if you zoom in on the center window's upper half and look at the pane right behind the curled tail of the dangling latch handle you might make out a special kind of glass repair I had done on some old salvaged glass. The repair itself now being more the reason for being than the simple pane of glass. The repair was done in more of an art deco, tiffanies style with a brass joint than I would have liked, lead being more similar to the rest of the interior would have been a better choice there.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

DSC01677.JPG - Version 2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.52 MB
 Viewed:  256 Time(s)

DSC01677.JPG - Version 2.JPG

johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, do you think you could get a closeup shot of that leaded glass repair? Try taking it at night or on an overcast day, or in the morning or evening when it is not full daylight outside.

Don Wagstaff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I will try John, even though I sold the house but it's just a mile up the road.

Don
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Thank you.

SashGuy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, Beautiful job. What was your process? I tried this with copper foil and ended up burning myself with popping slag.
cabinfeverarts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lead came is the way to go. Copper foil is not weather proof. It may hold up in your climate and for your purposes, but copper foil is not meant for architectural use.

When I did stained glass as a hobby only, I didn't know this and made two architectural windows with copper foil. Oops. Now I regret it. The air and water seeps through and they are less supple against wind (cracks developed). The putty from lead came would have been a cushion against movement.

Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: