Windows too narrow
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Storey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Windows too narrow Reply with quote

Still working on large plate glass DH's. They're finished, but the re-install has exposed some areas for improvement. They're 43" wide, and two of the three have jamb widths about 3/8" wider. This results in little overlap of the stops. I've added full length strips to other sash in the past that were actually so narrow that they could slip beyond the stops, but in this case centering them would do, it seems. I think I just want to add two small blocks on each side of the stiles to keep them centered. Full length strips are difficult since (I think...) they would have to be tapered/fit more precisely. Just wondered what you all might have done in cases like this.
I'm thinking one block just above the bottom joint (to avoid messing up drying function) and one just below the rope slot.

SashGuy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I install spring bronze on everything that I do, and a by product of cutting down on the air exchange is that it also keeps the sash centered.

SB.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.45 KB
 Viewed:  173 Time(s)

SB.jpg

JLee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring bronze has helped me take up some slack too. You may also want to look into integral interlocking weatherstrip, that will add close to 1/8" on each side, and you can shim between that and the jamb (with strips) to tighten up more. Harder to install, but the tightest of all the types I have.
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blocks seem a little too much like a shortcut. It might allow way to much air infiltration.

Strips on each side would be best, but perhaps you can get away with one strip on one side, if it doesn't make the sash look too "off center," which is a possibility with such wide sash.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Don Wagstaff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Just to pipe in with my own preference, I like the block idea to the degree that it solves the problem without having unwanted side effects. Further, be it blocks or strips I would screw them in place, countersinking the screws. This with the intent that replacement will be a simpler matter were they to become worn or damaged. In the case where the window fits within the stops yet the opening as a whole is a fair bit wider, allowing the window to potentially rack, I have used strips of hard wood on the jam side screwed just to keep the windows tracking properly. That's all.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, just to cover what might be the obvious, but has not yet been stated:

Why is there such a wide gap? Was it there originally, or has it developed since then?

Have the frame jambs moved apart? If so, why? (failure of the jamb sill joints? Bowing of the jambs?)

Perhaps the gap could be reduced with adjustments or repairs to the frame or jambs.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Jeremy Ballard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little late to the party but I would use full length strips of "V" bronze which is much stiffer then the spring bronze.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: