Wood Preservatives
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nbogosian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Wood Preservatives Reply with quote

Hello - i have only found discussions here on water repellents. I'm wanting to to do a preservative treatment for new wood before painting. I've heard the boiled linseed and turpentine mix does not penetrate enough? would something like a "wood hardener" be acceptable (Minwax or Petrifier)? i don't care about water repellent because it will be painted. I just don't want to buy the commercial pressure treated stuff. I want to be able to work with the wood before without getting toxic dust everywhere. Any tips?
TimB

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this will be available in your area, but here is one possible product:
http://www.stormsystem.com/products/category-1/
The woodlife extender is the zinc naphthenate pre-treatment mentioned in some of John's posts. They have tweaked the formulation recently, but from what I understand it still paintable after it cures.
I have seen some mention on this forum of using diluted borate preservatives (such as Boracare) as pre-treatments, though the jury may still be out on how such products might affect paint adhesion over the long term. Boracare will leach out of wood over time, but this should not be an issue if you carefully maintain the paint coating. Boracare is probably the least toxic of all the preservatives you might consider.
Perhaps the simplest solution would be to select a species of wood that resists rot and holds paint well. Such wood might be more expensive, but you will save some money if you don't have to buy wood preservative.

nbogosian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great - thanks so much
Keon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Wood Bliss Reply with quote

In Europe and Canada you can get something like Wood Bliss which is a 100% natural product that also gives some extra fire resistance as a free bonus.

The standard version (WB1) gives a brown tint to the wood but they also have a version which keeps the wood color intact (HM1), although that one is slightly less effective.

Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: