wood gutter preservation
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Roofing & Flashing  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nineteenfiftyeight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: wood gutter preservation Reply with quote

We have wood gutters that have epoxy repairs in some spots, tar that isn't ready to let go in others, and lots of stretches of bare, sound wood that has been liberated from it's tar coating. How do I top coat/treat/maintain these surfaces as I continue to pick away at the tar? I plan to use a latex primer/sealer on the epoxy repairs to protect it from UV. Should I use the same throughout the trough or just spot prime the epoxy? Should I likewise spot treat the bare wood spots with wood preservative? I would love to use the formula John lists in his restoration report on wood gutters...

A little history:
The former owner of our 1950's home had coated the wood gutters (many times over, apparently) with roofing tar, so we have had rot issues, and 5 years ago we had to have Paul Marlowe come to splice in a new section and use wood epoxy to repair a few other sections. At that time, Paul and his crew chipped out as much tar as they could. This year, as we were prepping the house for paint we noticed another couple of rotted areas, so Paul's been back on site helping us with the repairs, including chipping away yet more of the old tar coating and creating epoxy patches where necessary. We have had many discussions about how to best proceed and avoid future rot as much as is possible, and I decided to expand that discussion to this forum.

Thanks for any and all input!

Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Roofing & Flashing  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: