Roof Framing Residual Moisture?
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Roofing & Flashing  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikes8500

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Roof Framing Residual Moisture? Reply with quote

After putting it off for way too long with quite a few leaks, I had my roof redone in the beggining of Aug. Tore off the old asphalt shingles completely, had the roofer put down a layer of 1/2" ply over the planks since there were gaps of 1/2" or greater, 30lb felt and some decent architectural shingles. I was up in the attic recently and the framing in places where there were leaks before was still wet, above 30% moisture content. Had the roofer "who came well recommened) back, he took the shingles off in that area and the tarpaper showed no sign of water. The framing dates back to 1892, could it still be holding that level of moisture from before Aug when the leaks were happening? Another thought I had was maybe these areas that were subjected to water from the leaks is more prone to airborne moisture coming up from the house?

Mike
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike:

Yes, the moisture could still be lingering.

You are right, it could be water vapor from the living space condensing in the roofing. Plywood is basically impervious to the passage of moisture so the water cannot get out through the roofing system.

Consider increasing ventilation in the attic to carry the moisture out of the building.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Roofing & Flashing  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: