Upside down exterior blinds!! Grrrrrr !!!!
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conservator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Upside down exterior blinds!! Grrrrrr !!!! Reply with quote

All right. At what point did it become acceptable to hang the exterior blinds on any (not just old) house upside down? Even the dreaded vinyl companies which bolt them to the vinyl siding do it as a matter of course.

I'd just repainted my circa 1800 blinds (original equipment too I'll have you know!) and some moron walked up behind me having only just pulled into my driveway.

Brazen as Billy be damned, he stated emphatically "ummm.. you know your blinds are upside down." I could feel my blood begin to boil but I remained composed and chose to educate him as to why his notion was mistaken and mine was the proper way. I spent ten minutes telling him why exterior blinds are ALWAYS (when properly done) hung the way I was doing it. Wasted energy. He simply couldn't wrap his brain around it. As he departed away I heard him say under his breath, I still say he's hanging them upside down.

I guess one cannot teach the unteachable.

Even the Rotch Jones Duff House and Garden Museum on County Street (which was my gr gr grandmother Coffin's sister's home and now used as the quintessential example of the Whaling Mansion in old New Bedford, Massachusetts) has recently had the South side of the house painted. They even went to the trouble of replicating the period style blind (with mortise and tenon!). Evn though they'd had the blinds replicated, they promptly proceeded to allow their workmen to hang same upside down!!

Any suggestions on what one can do when the powers that be are as ignorant about our historical architectural past as any"Joe" on the street and "has more important things to do than worry about how the blinds are hung. (THIS even after she'd acknowledged I was trying to right the wrong")? <------- Kate Corkum's verbatim quote.
smithsash

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Wait a sec'.... Reply with quote

...you mean blinds weren't intended to funnel sunlight and deluges of rain water into the living quarters?!

Who knew!
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to enlighten other folks who may be reading this:

Exterior louvered blinds (or shutters) are correctly hung with the louvers sloping down and out to shed rain water and keep the sun out when the blinds are closed to cover the window sashes. When the blinds are opened out flat against the adjacent wall, the louvers slope down and in.

Many people today do not know that blinds are intended to close and serve these functions. They think that blinds are only decorative features. Sometimes they do have the practical idea about how rain should flow down and out away from the building, so when they see blinds with the louvers sloping in it looks "wrong" to them.

In fact, a louvered blind fastened directly to the wall next to a window with the louvers sloping in will guide water behind the blind and tend to trap it there causing damage to the wall. A blind hung on hinges in the traditional way is out away from the wall a few inches so it does not trap water behind it.

See the attached photo showing blinds in many open and closed positions.

HistoricWindow.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  150.07 KB
 Viewed:  216 Time(s)

HistoricWindow.JPG

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you attach a closeup photo here showing how you are correctly hanging your shutters?

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Don Wagstaff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I guess the discussion is all about one particular style of shutter, but that's just a guess and I could be wrong. Here's mine showing two different keepers, a long hook and eye and a swivel clamp, both forged.

Is is really true, this idea of trapped rain water? Hard to imagine. The explanation behind the confusion though seems plausible enough to me, that is a disrupted consciousness or unclear thinking.

What is the difference between a shutter and a blind?

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

DSC01659.JPG
 Description:
Plank & batten shutters
 Filesize:  2.69 MB
 Viewed:  217 Time(s)

DSC01659.JPG

Conservator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Wait a sec'.... Reply with quote

smithsash wrote:
...you mean blinds weren't intended to funnel sunlight and deluges of rain water into the living quarters?!

Who knew!

I actually laughed out loud when I read this. Thanks. John? Thanks for the detailed clarification.
Conservator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OKAY NOW IS THE PROPER TERM FOR EXTERIORS "BLINDS" or is it "SHUTTERS"?

I am imagining all sorts of regional responses.

But my Grandaunt (she'd be one hundred and eight years old were she yet living) was given to saying:

"I know two things as absolutes. One is what those pretty things that cover an exterior window are called and the PROPER pronunciation of "quahog".

My Grandaunt's explanation for both is Gospel to me. She was a quintessential Yankee.
SashGuy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so very much for the chuckle. I've spent my entire day trying to straighten out some ventanas (windows to us) that Pedro had installed with Liquid Nails. I really needed a good laugh.
Conservator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Wagstaff wrote:
Hello,

I guess the discussion is all about one particular style of shutter, but that's just a guess and I could be wrong. Here's mine showing two different keepers, a long hook and eye and a swivel clamp, both forged.

Is is really true, this idea of trapped rain water? Hard to imagine. The explanation behind the confusion though seems plausible enough to me, that is a disrupted consciousness or unclear thinking.

What is the difference between a shutter and a blind?

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

I had in mind the New England variety of the exterior blind simply to clarify.

Sorry. Don't know how to make images small ;-(
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: