Diagnosing door problem
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TideWater

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Diagnosing door problem Reply with quote

I have a ~150 year old door in my house. It has glass panes on the top half (3 wide x 4 tall) and 2 floating panels below. The house was substantially renovated around 1995. The door trim looks new but I don't think any work was done on the door. As long as I've been there the door has been tight but sometime between the summer and now (we don't use the door much), something happened to it. I noticed that it is now bowed - the latch will lock but the top and bottom corners remain proud of the frame and can't be pushed into the frame. Some of the glazing puddy appears to have melted (?), rust from the lock has run down the inside of the door, and a number of the joints show cracking and swelling. All this looks like water damage but there's no other sign of water infiltration around the door. My guess is extreme humidity this summer coupled with air conditioning causing condensation.

But what I'm really asking about is what I should do to fix the door and make it close properly? I've attached some pictures of the bottom joints, the joint nearest the lock with the rust, and the ooze on the window.

IMG_1438.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.16 MB
 Viewed:  135 Time(s)

IMG_1438.JPG

IMG_1437.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.48 MB
 Viewed:  129 Time(s)

IMG_1437.JPG

IMG_1436.JPG
 Description: