Fixing stains in a wood floor
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> All Other  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diane

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Fixing stains in a wood floor Reply with quote

I have some pet stains on my dining room floor. It soaked under the litter box during the summer when the ac was on - it dried it up around the box during the day so when I got home I didn't realize it was there till a week or so later when I moved the box to wash the floor. It was still wet under there and black.

The floors are southern yellow pine. I had refinished them in 1996 with Minwax oil based stain, and oil based polyurethane over it.

I was not happy with how the poly aged, so last winter I sanded the living room floor using a small DA sander. The dining room is next and I'd already started to sand the longer boards that go into it from the living room.

This happened in mid-July. I was going away that week then work picked up. At that time, I cleaned it with vinegar and kept everything off it for awhile. At some point when I had a spare 30 minutes, I tried to do a quick sanding on it and sprayed it with some remaining Zinser shellac I had left over from a project in the hopes of encapsulating the odor until I could fully deal with it.

The sanding wasn't as successful as I'd hoped, but I didn't put a lot of effort into it either. I'd like to do something with it soon, even though I'm not in a position yet to refinish the entire floor (I am refinishing with shellac, which is what was originally on the floors).

Is there a course of action for me? The damaged area is 21" x 22". I have a Klean-Strip Wood Bleach kit that I bought many years ago (probably over 10, but it's never been opened). That was before I realized I could sand penetrating stain out. Pretty sure this is different though.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Diane
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane,

On all my projects over the years I've never had to deal with pet urine stains. Here are a few links with reasonable sounding treatments to try:

http://cleaning.lifetips.com/tip/82311/floor-cleaning/hardwood-floor-cleaning/urine-stain-and-odor-removal-from-wood-floor.html

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-pet-urine-from-hardwood-floors/

http://www.life123.com/home-garden/housekeeping/cleaning-hardwood-floors/hardwood-floors-stain-removal-tips.shtml

Try any treatment in a small area first to test it out. Let us know if any of these methods work.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> All Other  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: