New Porch Floor
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Woodwork & Carpentry  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caleb.maas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: New Porch Floor Reply with quote

Replaced my covered porch floor last fall and am concerned with doing everything practically possible to protect and extend the life of this new wood (cvg doug fir). Before installing I treated each board with a paintable waterproof preservative, then primed each tongue and groove. Impending snow forced this shortcut. Before I prime and paint the floor this spring, I would like to give the end grain some special attention. I'm giving some thought to attaching a strip of rounded bullnose around the perimeter. I'm skeptical that it will do much to seal end grain or aid in shedding surface water, but it might help a little and could look nice. Also considering sealing the end grain with a wood consolidant. Makes lots of sense to me in theory, but I'm finding surprisingly little about this approach online. Anyone have experience with either/both? Potential pitfalls? Better ideas?
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What preservative did you use, how did you apply it? Did you get preservative on the end-grain?

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
caleb.maas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Storm Clear Wood Life Extender (zinc naphthenate). I dipped half, brushed the other half. My poly lined wood trough idea was pretty much a total fail, not nearly robust enough. After losing a discouraging amount of product and time to punctures I turned to the brush. I wish I had marked boards before installing for future comparison. Board ends were trimmed after installation. I hadnít considered the consolidant and preservative interaction. Wonít consolidant just soak in wherever the preservative isnít? I hope Iím wrong, but my gut sense was that the preservative did not penetrate deeply.
TideWater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that I wasn't the only one to try a poly-lined wood trough for a dip treatment. I had the same problem. The dirt floor of my barn smelled for about a year afterward.

I spoke to Abatron when I was repairing my porch and (as I recall) they recommended applying the preservative before the consolidant. They said it wouldn't affect the adherence. So it should be safe to apply a consolidant now to seal the end grain of your boards.
caleb.maas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The odor is horrid. Tyvek suit, booties, gloves, masks, fans. None of it was a match for that smell. It was in my beard for weeks. Glad your barn floor eventually came around. Couldnít have been a pleasant space in the interval. Which WRP product did you use?
TideWater

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same one - Storm Clear Wood Life Extender
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

End-Grain
Skip the added moulding.
Treat with an epoxy consolidant if you like, which will give you a 10-15 year maintenance cycle.
Or, treat with the same Storm Clear Wood Life Extender, and plan on a 3-5 year maintenance cycle with the same Storm Clear. The surface of the deck boards are likely to need the 3-5 year maintenance cycle.

caleb.maas

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both of you for the feedback. Iíll go ahead with the WRP Iíve got sitting around already and keep the consolidant in mind for the future. Iím also working on making removable screen panels and door. Iím planning on using a wire mesh to protect the lower screens from two small humans and a medium sized mutt. Anyone have any experience with painting wire mesh? Iím thinking either spraying or possibly dipping.
caleb.maas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update:
Spring has become late July and Iíve yet to find time to get after this porch floor. I found some old oil based preservatives at the recycling facility the other day and decided to run some simple tests.

I cut 3 scraps of my fir flooring. The first has end grain that was dipped in the Storm WRP mentioned above, and will be left alone. The other two scraps I brushed one end and dipped the other in:
Product #1: Valsparís Water Repellent Sealer (milky looking; mineral spirits, modified resins, paraffin; paintable after 48hours, I guess)
Product #2: Thompsonís Wood Protector Clear Preservative (amber colored oil; 3-Lodi-2-propynyl butyl carbamate, petroleum distillates; paintable after minimum of 30days)
Havenít bothered with SDS on either.

Plan is to rip the scraps in a few days and see how they penetrate. Iíd like to see how they take paint before using on the actual floor, but that means Iím at least 60 days out from actually getting paint on the porch floor and who knows what Fall 2019 will look like in Minnesota.

johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that you are testing. I used that Thompson's product for several years and had good performance.

caleb.maas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scraps are ripped, the results are in, and to absolutely no oneís surprise... they are inconclusive. Not sure what I was expecting. Maybe I could have found a suitable dye to give a visual sense of how deeply each product penetrated. I soaked the scraps in water hoping itíd be obvious where the water absorbed and where the oil prevented it. Not really.

Happy to hear an endorsement of the Thompsonís product. As Iím a little hamstrung in what and how much I can get my hands on anyway, I think itís past time I get a finish on this flooring. Iím going to use both products and if I run out, Iíll use the Storm on the rest. Should be all set to prime and paint by mid September.

caleb.maas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there goes another month! Quick update with questions:

I wanted to mention that further examination of my test samples show good penetration with both products mentioned above. The Thompsonís product worked significantly deeper than the Valspar.

Iíve been applying WRP as time and weather permits. I came across a 5qt container of oil based Thompsonís Water Seal and started running with that. Planning to use the other Thompsonís mentioned before on the highest traffic and most vulnerable areas as it seems like the highest quality WRP I have and I only have a few qts. This wood is thirsty. Itís been a year since it was installed so Iím not exactly shocked, but it does leave me with a less than favorable impression of the Storm WRP used initially. At no point did surface water bead with the Storm as it does with the Water Seal Iíve applied so far. Take that for what itís worth.

Q1: The Water Seal instructions call for 2 applications, so I have put two coats on portions of the porch floor. I noticed today that FPL recommends a single coat as to prevent paint adhesion issues. Did I make trouble for myself with that second coat? I could probably strip a bit of the wax yet with a rag and some mineral spirits.

Q2: As I mentioned before, the Thompsonís Wood Protector says to wait 30 days before painting with oil. Why so long? Can I cheat, paint earlier? John, you mentioned using this stuff before. Ever rush that timeline?

Last thing, I didnít know where this post would lead but itís pretty clear now that it belongs in the paints and finishes section. Anybody know how to move it? Thanks all!

johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The instructions for 2 applications may be for wood that will not have further treatments or paint.

2. Follow the instructions for the product you are using. I don't recall any cases where I shortened the drying time. I know for sure that I did not do any testing on that.

Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Woodwork & Carpentry  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: