Meeting Rail Compression Bulb & Spring Bronze
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nbogosian

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Meeting Rail Compression Bulb & Spring Bronze Reply with quote

Hello - I am using WS32 at the meeting rail for single hung windows. I am using spring bronze in the sash tracks and at the bottom of sill sash.

1. If I am making my own router jig for the WS32 kerf and not using the ConservationTechnology router, is there a specific distance from the top of the rail that the bulb should be installed? Towards the middle of the rail? My meeting rails are about 1 1/4" wide.

2. Is it recommended to install the bulb after the sash have been refurbished, primed, and painted? I wonder if there's any concern with the caulk adhesive not setting if the sash have received a linseed/turp mix.

3. For the spring bronze, i ordered from Killian's and noticed that there's hardly any "bend" naturally in the bronze (almost flat). like maybe 1/8th bend. Is it a good idea to flex/bend it a bit once it's nailed in to create a stronger "spring"?

thanks!
~Nicholas
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. It may depend on the shape of the meeting surfaces, may be a flat bevel, a stepped bevel, or a 90 degree "check." In general, make the kerf as near the middle of the meeting rail as possible, and also locate the kerf so that it weakens the joints with the stiles as little as possible.

2. Run the kerf after woodwork repairs and before any finish treatments. You'll have to test your caulk adhesive to make sure it is compatible with the rubber and surrounding finish materials, or call the manufacturers of these various materials and ask them if their product is compatible with the others.

3. With rolled spring bronze you fasten it in place, and then run a tool along the crease to lift the leaf and spring it out. Go here and scroll down to see this in the video:
http://historichomeworks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5218#5218

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
chris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I am new to the site, am interested in how others have been using the vast array of weather seals offered by Resource Conservation Technology.
In regard to the meeting rail seal, I am partial to the ws76. The depth and placement of seal should be such that the top surface of the meeting rail comes together. This is for aesthetic reasons and so the sash lock reaches across the two meeting rails.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: