stripping paint from muntins, glass in place
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjlindem

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: stripping paint from muntins, glass in place Reply with quote

Hello, I am stripping paint off of two window sashes from my 1916 home. I will be staining and varnishing the inside facing portions once I get down to clean bare wood. The glazing and exterior paint are in acceptable condition and I'm not planning to remove and re-glaze the glass as part of this effort unless I absolutely have to.

I was wondering what the best method would be to get the muntins paint-free without removing the glass and without damaging the glass. Many other windows in my house have received the same treatment from the last owner, I can tell by the age of the exterior paint and glazing that they removed the interior paint without removing the glass, and somehow also managed to do it without scratching the glass.

I've seen mixed opinions about whether 0000 steel wool is safe for glass. My current inclination is to use 0000 steel wool and chemical stripper to strip the muntins.

I'd appreciate any advice someone with experience with this could lend.

Thanks,
Chris
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might test out using a chemical solvent-type paint stripper. DO NOT use a caustic-type stripper that requires neutralizing.

Fine steel wool should not damage most types of window glass. Here again, test in a small area to see if it works without damaging the glass. You might have a cracked pane for testing that will be getting replaced.

Post your results and we'll help you further.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another trick is to use a metal slat from an old venetian blind to protect the glass. The slats are very thin metal and are slightly curved in cross-section. Cut the slat to length with tinsnips or heavy shears. Hold the slat concave side up by one edge and place the other edge down on the glass right next to the muntin. Then you can work on the muntin, and the slat protects the glass from damage by steel wool or even sandpaper.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: