tacky putty
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorymb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: tacky putty Reply with quote

We used Sarco Dual Glaze putty on our reconstructed living room windows this summer with no problems. Glazing skimmed over and semi hardened over maybe a two month period before I painted. I have another set of sashes from upstairs we glazed this fall and the putty is still tacky after several months (8 weeks?) Can't figure it out. I went ahead and primed with Zinsser oil primer yesterday and this AM the paint is very tacky. Not sure if I should paint the sashes (latex) today or not. Any idea what went wrong and what I should do?
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, need to know a little more about the situation there.

Is this second round of glazing from the same batch or can of putty?

What is the difference in the weather or shop conditions between the two periods after the glazing?

Did you have any oil rising to the top of the putty for either round of glazing?

Did you dump all the putty out of the can, mix it, then put it back in the can before glazing?

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Dorymb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: tacky putty Reply with quote

Hi John thanks for your response.
Yes same can. First round in summer, sashes were in place for a month or two until I painted. Second round in the fall and I had them hanging out in my house. I didn't do the work personally. I will have to ask my friend if he did anything differently, but I don't know why he would. I just checked what is left in the can and it seems the same consistency as always, not oily or anything but nice and soft. I checked the sashes and they are still tacky soft not at all like the others.
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not sure if I should paint the sashes (latex) today or not.

Do not paint with latex paint top coats until the primer is completely dry.

Sarco's Dual Glaze putty is formulated to be used on sash that are exposed to the outdoor weather, which provides more active drying, and "skin-over" conditions. Having this second batch of sashes indoors has slowed down the drying and skin-over. Eventually they would skin-over, but it would take a long time. Now that you have primed, it will take even longer.

Consider this:

I presume you are in a cold climate, so putting the sash back in the windows for weather exposure would not help much because the cold will slow down the chemical reactions that result in drying and skin over. Plus, it's hard to tell how a very slow, cold drying and cure would affect the durability of the putty and primer.

To promote drying of the primer and curing of the putty while keeping the sash indoors you could put them in a warm, dry (low humidity) room. For the first several days or few weeks, arrange them so air can naturally circulate across the exterior side of the sashes, just let them sit there. (You don't want the primer to dry too fast or it may wrinkle the surface of the putty.) Then set up an ordinary window box fan to circulate the air in the room to provide very slight air movement on the putty and primer, but do not blow air directly on the sashes. After several days or a few weeks of that the primer might be dry. When it is, you might increase the air flow on the sash by blowing air directly onto the sash, which might promote further drying at the surface and begin curing the putty. Even when the primer is dry the putty will probably still be quite soft, so use a vary soft brush and light touch when brushing on the top coats of paint.

In the future you might use Sarco's Type M putty, which is formulated for a faster skin-over time when the sash will be kept indoors between glazing and painting.

If you don't have the luxury of waiting for all of this drying time to pass by, you could take out the front lines of putty and reglaze with Sarco's Type M, and use the fan method to get it to skin-over in a few or several days, then proceed with priming (if needed) and painting.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought

Last edited by johnleeke on Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
SashGuy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would also point out that you should avoid using primer on the glazing compound. It breaks the surface tension of the skin and shortens the life.
Dorymb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: tacky putty Reply with quote

Ugh. This is bad news. I can't believe I got it so wrong. I hate oil based paint and the only reason I bought the oil primer was because I thought I heard/read/was told that you MUST prime this putty with oil based. Now I see it says right on the can not to. I primed ALL the new sashes (6 windows) before painting. They were very skinned over however and nothing to do about it now anyway.

I really can't fathom why this recent putty did not skin over. It's been at least a month if not more. Probably closer to two months now. The info from Sarco states that it should skin in a week at 70 degrees and would take a longer at a lower temp. It's been warm this fall and only got below 70 recently.

Anyway, I guess I'll just remove it all and start over. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Thanks for the advice.
Dorymb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: tacky putty Reply with quote

Upon further inspection of the can of putty, I believe it has too much oil in it after all. It is very near the end of the can. I did something crazy and wiped off the primer with turpentine. It may not work, but nothing to lose at this point. I'm going to try putting the sash in my furnace room and see what happens. If all else fails, I'll put fresh putty in.

Regarding the other 6 windows primed with oil primer:
I contacted Sarco asking about my priming with oil based paint and a rep left me a message stating that the only consequence might be wrinkling of the paint layer and if it didn't happen right away, I am probably good. He said wrinkling of the paint was more of a cosmetic problem and that several good coats of paint is what will ensure longevity. So I am very relieved about that.
Dorymb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: sticky putty update Reply with quote

I spoke with the rep from Sarco. Apparently (as John stated) putty was meant for outside curing and the guy said it would eventually skim over, but it could take months and months inside. He recommended that I let the sashes sit outside under cover even though it was freezing here. So I did and the putty did skim over after several weeks. The putty looked great and did not pull away or anything. The sashes are now painted with 2 good coats of Benjamin Moore latex and ready to re-install!

Funny thing about not priming the putty: my historic home contractor friend didn't know that either! Thanks for all advice.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: