New Carriage House doors- how to build for windows?
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buckyswider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: New Carriage House doors- how to build for windows? Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is much different than an entry door, but will certainly be thicker. I'm building new swing-out doors for my carriage house (i.e. barn) and want to increase the window size. The current dilapidated doors have a 4-lite in each , total about 16" high and 20" wide.

Each door will be 46 7/8" wide by 83 3/4" high. I want a row of lites on the top half of each just about as wide as I can get while maintaining structural integrity. I suppose I could just order an insulated glass panel (with simulated divided glass) an pop it in, but I want to do it the hard way!

The frame of the door will be 2x4s (undecided if the 2" side or the 4" side will be the thickness of the door dimension yet, if that makes sense) probably with 3/4 tongue-and-groove beadboard on either side, with foam insulation sandwiched in between. Possible horizontal cross members for stabilization on the bottom- this is still in the VERY early stages of planning.

And this is my first conundrum. I'd like to do like a 4x2 true divided lite grid, but without the normal sash frame, I'm unsure how to even begin.

Any pointers? Thanks!
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: