Paint failure on glazing
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimitchell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Paint failure on glazing Reply with quote

Looking for an explanation as to why I am seeing problems with the paint on my glazing, and hopefully, some guidance as to repair. I used Sarco Dual Glaze, and allowed glazing to cure for more than 30 days. Painted with a high quality Benjamin Moore latex paint (no primer on glaze). These windows are on a section of our stone house that gets very hot from all-day sun.

As shown in the pictures, the only problem is with paint on glazing. There are 3 bubbles, but in general the paint has what appears to be vertical stripes of buckling. Any ideas as to cause? Can I just lightly sand and re-paint?

IMG_1678.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.37 KB
 Viewed:  72 Time(s)

IMG_1678.JPG

IMG_1674.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.96 KB
 Viewed:  79 Time(s)

IMG_1674.JPG

IMG_1673.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  118.39 KB
 Viewed:  78 Time(s)

IMG_1673.JPG

IMG_1675.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  109.28 KB
 Viewed:  60 Time(s)

IMG_1675.JPG

johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This type of wrinkling is typically caused by painting before the putty was skinned over enough.

Investigation & Cause:
Carefully pick open a blister to see if there is oil under the blister. If you find oil it is a sign that there is still liquid oil in the putty (as would be expected), which may be coming to the surface under the paint because the red color absorbs a lot of infra-red heat-containing rays from the sun.

Condition Assessment:
There are two issues to assess: Performance and Appearance. If the paint and putty is still sealed well to the glass and wood, the putty and paint are still performing OK. Keep an eye on this over the next few to several months for changes, like cracks or gaps between the putty and the wood and glass.

Action:
In the future let your glazing skin over more before painting. To assure you do not run into the same problem again, you could run a test to determine when to paint. Try painting just one line of putty and wait 30 days (or 60 or 90). If everything goes well, then move ahead with painting the rest. If you get wrinkling, wait that much again for skin-over, then paint just one line if putty. Repeat as necessary.

If the appearance is acceptable for now, don't do anything. After a year the paint and putty will be cured enough that you could improve the appearance by gently sanding the painted putty surface and re-painting for a better appearance. If sanding, do not scratch the glass, protect it with a piece of old metal venetian blind slat or other thin sheet metal. Test first on a single line of putty.

If the appearance must be corrected now, the only likely recourse would be to rake out the putty, reglaze and repaint.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
newly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need some assistance related to this same problem. I glazed four sashes with Dual Glaze, dusted with whiting and set the sashes aside for 2 weeks in non ac room. This week I painted the glazing with Behr Premium Plus latex paint and primer in one. The putty was completely dry to the touch but still soft. Today I was evening up the paint to glass seal with a razor blade and nicked the painted glazing. I then discovered that the paint has zero adhesion to the glazing. There was no visible wrinkling as noted below. Paint is adhered to the glass and wood. I peels off the glaze like unrolling teflon tape and the glaze side of the paint peel feels slightly gritty. It appears that I may have painted too soon. The only thing holding the paint to the glaze is the bond of the wood and glass.
I am not how I should proceed from here.
Peel the paint from all four glazed sashes and start over?
Hang the sashes and wait a while before repainting?
Use oil base primer before top coat (even though not recommened by the manufacturer)?
Any suggestiions will be appreciated.
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarco Dual Glaze putty is made for glazing sashes that are exposed to the weather. Wind and sun help the putty skin over in a reasonable amount of time. Since your sashes were kept indoors, the putty probably did not get the the drying effect of the wind and sun, so I suspect that it was not skinned over enough.

From your description (gritty on back of peeled paint film) it sounds like the paint did adhere to the skin on the putty, and when you pulled away the paint film it took the too-thin putty skin along with it. Take a close look and see if that's what happened.

I suggest going ahead and hanging the sashes and see how they do over the next few or several months.

Where you peeled the paint off I suggest raking out all the front putty, reglazing, hanging the sash, then paint that new putty after a few or several weeks.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: