Sash Windows - Exterior Clear Finish
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wayne B

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Sash Windows - Exterior Clear Finish Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I know the best way to protect timber windows long-term is to paint them, so please avoid posting replies to that effect. The windows in question are on my house, if they need extra maintenance, I can live with that.

I am in the process of restoring some old Australian cedar / Jarrah double hung sash windows. I have stripped, repaired and sanded the sashes and frame and the timber is just too beautiful to cover up! So I am planning to use a clear finish so we can enjoy the lovely old timber.

The windows are under a veranda and are completely protected from rain. They do get a little bit of direct sunlight on the sill and corner of the bottom sash for a few hours at the end of the day (probably not all year round). The majority of the windows never see direct sunlight.

I have some Cutek CD50 which from what I can gather is a naptha/parrafin based penetrating oil/resin popular for use on decks and exterior timber in Australia. I am planning to use this on the interior but I'm not sure how it will fare over the linseed putty on the exterior...

I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for clear finishes to use on the exterior (preferably satin or semi-gloss).

Are penetrating oils/resins (such as the Cutek) and putty a bad mix?

Is a (long oil) Spar marine type finish a better option (such as McCloskeys Man O'War)?

I want to avoid polyurethane as I want to be able to maintain without stripping...

Please provide descriptions of finishes as well as brand or product names so I can find a local equivalent.

Many thanks
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly suspect that penetrating oil will wreck havoc with the putty. I suggest using a "spar varnish." This is a generic expression for an oil-based varnish made for the boat and marine trades.
I don't have a clue what products might be available there, since all my experience is in North America. I suggest you talk with the boat guys for a specific product. Feel free to post a product or two here and I'll take look at their technical info and let you know if it's what I'm talking about.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: