Insect damage to column
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Woodwork & Carpentry  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PegM

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Insect damage to column Reply with quote

I am currently repairing an 8 inch Tuscan wooden stave column from a 1905 house. Of the 8 joints, 5 are completely open (i.e. no longer glued together) and 3 are still closed (glue holding).

My question concerns 2 joints with insect damage (carpenter ants, I think). Joint damage is centered on stave #4. Between staves 3 and 4, the top 4 feet of the joint is damaged on both staves; between staves 5 and 4, the top 2 feet is damaged on both staves. (Then a woodpecker added its damage to the outside of stave 4.)

Should I try to repair the insect damage before gluing? Photos of the damage are attached

If yes, my second question concerns the astragal. Astragal is in 3 pieces, set into a square channel and apparently glued. On stave 4, the glue has released so stave 4 slides against the astragal. Stave 4 could probably be removed completely. But Iím very cautious, so I havenít tried. Photo attached.

Whatís my next step? If I need to repair the insect damage, should I use Wood Hardener & Wood Epox? Also should I try to remove stave 4, and if so how? Should I try to remove the section of astragal thatís already loosened, and if so, how?

Many thanks in advance for your help. Peg M

Insect damage stave 4 #1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  715.37 KB
 Viewed:  56 Time(s)

Insect damage stave 4 #1.JPG

Insect damage stave 4 #2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  713.23 KB
 Viewed:  87 Time(s)

Insect damage stave 4 #2.JPG

Astragal unglued stave 4.JPG